Research Associate II or III-MHRP
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
Join the HJF Team!
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing military medicine. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike. Since its founding in 1983, HJF has served as a vital link between the military medical community and its federal and private partners. HJF's support and administrative capabilities allow military medical researchers and clinicians to maintain their scientific focus and accomplish their research goals.
This position will be in support of the MHRP Flow Cytometry Core (FCC). The primary objective of the MHRP Flow Cytometry Core is to support the HIV vaccine effort and basic immunologic research conducted at MHRP. This core contains state-of-the-art equipment, infrastructure, personnel, and expertise in flow cytometry. The FCC provides cytometry analysis for researchers across MHRP, the WRAIR, and external collaborators, particularly supporting critical endpoint and research-based immunomonitoring assays for HIV, Ebola, ZIKA, MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV-2, and other vaccine trials and natural history cohorts.
HJF is seeking a Research Associate II or III to perform research and/or development in collaboration with other scientific and technical staff. The successful candidate will perform flow cytometry sorting and maintain flow cytometry equipment/facilities as part of the core under the guidance of core manager. They will provide training and guidance for lower-level Research Associates and laboratory staff. Exercise technical discretion in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project strategies. Experience with post-sorting PCR and sequencing/transcriptomics is highly desirable.
- Performs complex data analysis and interpretation, verifies and corrects data entry.
- Performs complex laboratory tests, determinations, and analyses involving multiple procedures and a variety of technical approaches.
- Develops methods and procedures for experiments and investigations.
- Organizes and procures needed reagents, supplies, equipment, performs QC testing, analyses QC data, and documents results.
- Analyzes and prepares reagent and/or assay product documentation. Organizes and procures needed reagents, performs experiments, analyzes data, and documents results.
- Assists colleagues with flow core facility usage and collaborative project goals.
- Documents current or new procedures or protocols for sample selection, data collection, data processing, and/or statistical estimation.
- Mentors, reviews, and supervises junior laboratory staff in the planning, execution, and analysis of experiments.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of extremely complex laboratory procedures.
- Ability to meet deadlines of projects.
- Good communication and analytical skills.
- Assigned Lead: May recommend the following: employee hiring, disciplinary action, and starting salaries; provide input on employee performance evaluations.
- This position will take place primarily in a laboratory and/or clinical setting.
Education and Experience
- Master's Degree required.
- Research Associate III: Minimum of 6-8 years experience required.
Research Associate II: Minimum of 3-5 years experience required.
All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
For more than 30 years, HJF has committed to a singular mission: advancing military medicine. We were authorized by Congress to do this and serve as a trusted and responsive link between the military medical community, its federal and private partners, and millions of American service families, veterans and civilians who rely every day on the advances and quality of life that result from this work.
We use our mission understanding to create innovative solutions that are purpose-built for our partners’ goals.
At HJF, you will become an important part of a mission-driven team.
The Henry M. Jackson FoundationWhy Work Here?
When you join our team, you serve one of our nearly 1,000 research programs that include infectious disease, biomedical defense, and more!
Are you ready to make a difference in military medicine? For more than 30 years, HJF has committed to a singular mission: advancing military medicine. We were authorized by Congress to do this and serve as a trusted and responsive link between the military medical community, its federal and private partners, and millions of American service families, veterans and civilians who rely every day on the advances and quality of life that result from this work. We use our mission understanding to create innovative solutions that are purpose-built for our partners’ goals. At HJF, you will become an important part of a mission-driven team.
AddressSilver Spring, MD