Forensic Psychologist - Competency & Sanity Evaluation Unit
The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD Houston, TX
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD (“The HARRIS CENTER”) is looking for a Forensic Psychologist II to join our team. Under the direction of the lead forensic psychologist for the Competency and Sanity Evaluation Unit, this position is responsible for conducting forensic psychological evaluations of defendants pursuant to court order for the purposes of providing expert opinions to Harris County criminal courts regarding competency to stand trial and insanity. Duties include providing written opinions about competency to stand trial and insanity, consulting with attorneys and court officials, providing testimony in criminal legal proceedings, and completing routine administrative/record-keeping activities.
What you will do:
- Conducts competency and sanity evaluations and other court ordered evaluations completing written reports within required timeframe and provides court testimony relating to evaluation results as requested.
- Effectively interacts with judges, attorneys and other court staff in the collection of information and collaboration on assigned cases.
- Conducts psychological testing and provides documentation of findings from assessment instruments.
- Meets divisional productivity standards.
- Demonstrates ethical conduct in all clinical and professional activities.
- Performs related work as assigned. Adapts to changing work requirements.
- Complies with agency policies and procedures, accrediting/regulatory bodies and performance contract documentation requirements.
- Communicates and works with consumers/visitors/other staff in a manner that demonstrates sensitivity to cultural diversities.
What qualifications you will need:
- Doctoral Degree (Ph.D.) or equivalent.
- Licensed as a psychologist in the State of Texas.
- Board Certification by the American Board of Professional Psychology as a Forensic Psychologist is preferred.
- If not Board Certified as a Forensic Psychologist:
- at least 24 hours of specialized forensic training relating to incompetency or insanity evaluations, and
- at least 5 years of experience in performing criminal forensic evaluations for courts.
- Required knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
- Competence in the administration, scoring, and interpretation of a broad range of psychologist tests (especially those intended for forensic use);
- Knowledge of Articles 46B and 46C of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure and applicable case law conclusions;
- Knowledge and application of diagnostic nomenclature in diagnosing mental illness as well as intellectual and developmental disabilities;
- Clear and concise written expression skills appropriate for expert opinions in criminal legal proceedings; strong analytical skills in considering and synthesizing information, data, and evidence from multiple sources;
- Collaborative and clear communication and problem-solving skills with colleagues and supervisors
What we have to offer:
The HARRIS CENTER offers competitive salary, excellent benefits package, retirement plans with company matching, prior service credit towards generous PTO accrual, outstanding wellness programs and professional development.
Employees can also take advantage of business casual dress code, corporate discounts, and gym memberships. New hire referral bonus, discounts are also available on an optional basis. These include mobile phone service, fitness centers and other wellness amenities.
What else you should know:
Shift: Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm across remote- and office-based settings.
This position is located 1200 Baker St. Houston, TX 77002.
The HARRIS CENTER is the state-designated Local Mental Health Authority and Local Intellectual and Developmental Disability (IDD) Authority serving Harris County, Texas. As the largest behavioral and developmental disability care center in Texas, The HARRIS CENTER provided care to over 79,000 people in fiscal year 2019 and has an annual budget of over $275 million.
As part of its mission to transform the lives of people with behavioral health and IDD needs in the third largest county in the United States, The HARRIS CENTER provides a full continuum of services at 86 different sites across Harris County. In addition, services are provided in more than 42 different languages as well as sign language in order to better serve what is one of the most diverse and multi-cultural communities in the nation.
By utilizing the unique expertise of its more than 2,300 employees, The HARRIS CENTER is committed to meeting the behavioral health and IDD needs of Harris County residents and giving them hope to live to their fullest potential.
The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD (“The HARRIS CENTER”) is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
The HARRIS CENTER does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that it does not have a signed agreement with.
If you require assistance or accommodation when applying for open positions, please contact email@example.com
Powered by JazzHR
The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD
HealthcareView all jobs at The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD