Lead Summer Instructor
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Who We Are
The Handwork Studio is a nationally recognized organization that centers on handwork education. A blend of a traditional summer camp and experiential learning, our programs help campers develop new skills, discover their capabilities, and embrace the power of innovation in a nurturing environment.
At The Handwork Studio, our core values of Care, Trust, Create, and Educate serve as the "guiding light" that steers our organization's attitudes, behaviors, and culture. Within each program, we strive to be an inclusive and diverse community committed to creating a holistic environment where all campers and our team feel included, respected, and celebrated.
You can find The Handwork Studio in 7 locations throughout DC, PA, MD, and VA and we are looking to create a dynamic summer team for 2023 that we hope can include you! For more information, check out our programs here: http://bit.ly/41kgYNy.
A Great Handwork Lead Instructor is
- at least 21 or turning 21 years of age by the time the camp season begins.
- inspired by our mission and purpose. Experiential education, project-based learning, and creating safe, inclusive spaces all speak to the very core of who you are.
- an experienced creative, fun-loving leader in youth development with at least 1 year of demonstrated experience of working with kids (i.e. babysitting, summer camps, teaching, etc.)
- comfortable resolving a parent concern, mentoring a Counselor in Training, working through a conflict between two campers, and donning a cape for superhero day!
- you are flexible and resourceful. You are comfortable knowing that best-laid plans sometimes don’t pan out and you are willing to jump in to figure out solutions.
- communicative. You have demonstrated the ability to work independently and manage your time to meet goals and deadlines but you also work well in a team environment.
- a problem-solver. You love figuring out solutions to ensure camp is a safe and fun experience for everyone.
- you have a growth mindset. You know that true capability requires commitment, effort, being open and accepting of feedback and providing feedback, personal reflection, and the implementation of lessons learned.
- you have the creative ability or a willingness to learn. You have experience or a strong interest in sewing, building, baking, cooking, fashion, woodworking, writing, illustrating, STEAM, coding, and robotics, or any other hands-on skills.
- you believe that learning can happen anywhere at any time and that is exciting to you!
- You are technologically proficient. You are comfortable using computers, tablets, and other online and software platforms, including but not limited to Google Workspace, Slack, etc.
- You have the ability to stay neat and organized in a creative environment.
- able to commit to the following schedule:
- From approx. June - August (depending on site location)
- Monday-Fridays, approx. 8:00a-4:00p
- comfortable and capable of the following physical demands of this position with reasonable accommodation:
- Lift and carry 35 lbs, such as sewing machines, fabric bolts, trunks of materials, planks of wood, etc.
- Identify and quickly respond to emergencies.
- Withstand daily exposure to weather and the elements (especially June-August)
- Work at least 7-8 hour days during the months of June-August
- Willing to submit a health form if a partnership location requires it
- Willing to abide by any COVID-19 mitigation efforts that may need to be in place by The Handwork Studio or our partner location for summer 2023.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and up to date on all other immunizations or willing to obtain vaccinations to be fully immunized before the summer season begins and willing to provide immunization records as needed.
- Able to successfully pass state-run background checks
Handwork Lead Instructors Will Receive
- A fully defined curriculum and paid training. You DO NOT need to be an expert. We are very willing to train the right person on our methods.
- Leadership training and professional development around classroom management, curriculum instruction, DEI training, and behavior management.
- Full reimbursement for any required background checks
- Breakfast on Mondays
- Coffee, drinks, and snacks available every day.
- Free parking
- a Full Summer Commitment bonus for working 6 or more weeks throughout the summer and not missing any time based on your assigned schedule.
- An opportunity to participate in our Referral program. We offer $50 per successful hire* that you recommend (no limit on this).
- Children or immediate family members are eligible for one week of Handwork Studio camp FREE per child at our Rosemont College location and/or significant discounts at select partner locations.
The Handwork Studio is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. Hiring decisions are based upon a candidate's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration and are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, or any other category protected by applicable law.
The Handwork Studio
AddressFalls Church, VA
Transportation and Storage
Get fresh Studio Art Instructor jobs daily straight to your inbox!