We are excited to have grown over the last five years are we are currently seeking a full-time experienced veterinary technician (or RVT) with a flexible schedule to join our team.
The veterinary technician is the primary medical support for both DVMs and the general nursing staff. They continue to assist the doctor throughout the examination, diagnosis and treatment phases. They aid the veterinarians and other technicians in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. GLVH Vet techs have a very significant role in communicating with and educating clients about their pets.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous on-the-job training required
- RVT license is a plus!
- Minimum two years experience as a veterinary assistant or similar role
- RVTs with any level of experience are welcome to apply (internship experience only is OK)
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Well-spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature manner
- Experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all levels of hospital team members
- Excellent client communication skills
- Deep love of and concern for the well-being of animals
- Enjoys working with people and is a great team player
- Enthusiastic, energetic, eager to learn, and interested
- Remains calm in a crisis or emergency setting
- Attentive to detail and has excellent organizational skills
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches, and contagious diseases
- Requires lifting (up to 40 lbs), carrying, restraining animals, walking, frequent bending and squatting, and standing for extended periods of time
- Effectively restrains animals (cats and dogs, occasional pocket pets) safely using fear-free techniques
- Proficient at typing and working with computers (we are a paper-light practice with digital records)
- Keeps accurate medical records in accordance with hospital policy
- Prepares and maintains exam rooms and treatment areas
- Understands all common vaccinations and vaccination protocols and can explain to clients
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees
- Handles client's medical questions with confidence and directs to veterinarians when appropriate
- Prepares estimates for procedures and discusses financial commitments with clients supporting hospital financial policies
- Explains necessary followup and home care instructions.
- Assists the veterinarian in medical, surgical, and dental procedures; prepares patients for surgery; maintains anesthesia; monitors patients during surgery and recovery; administers fluids.
- Properly cares for all surgical materials; keeps the operating room properly stocked and prepared for surgery
- Performs emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, opening airways, and external cardiac massage
- Effectively positions patients for and takes digital radiographs
- Knows common disease states and alerts veterinarians when symptoms change or when concerns arise with hospitalized patients
- Admits and discharges patients following hospital policy and doctor's orders