Veterinary Receptionist (CSR)
- $17 to $20 Hourly
Client Service Representative
REPORTS TO: Lead Client Service Representatives, Team Development Manager, Assistant Manager, Hospital Administrator, or Owner(s)
The receptionist is the client's first contact when calling or visiting the practice and as such represents the professional image of the practice to callers and visitors. The receptionist answers telephones, greets clients, prepares patient files, receives and relays client correspondence, updates client financial records. The exceptional receptionist has the ability to diffuse negative client situations and foster client bonding.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
High school diploma or equivalent.
Customer Service background desirable but not required.
Typing skills required.
Some computer knowledge required; comfortable with Word, keyboarding, and use of communication tools such as email.
Significant experience with basic office functions in a busy office environment.
Previous receptionist and veterinary practice experience are desirable but not required.
The receptionist must be able to:
- Be flexible in attitude and work habits.
- Quickly learn how to pronounce, know the meaning of and spell commonly used veterinary terms.
- Perform basic computer skills, type 30 words per minute.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying equipment and food weighing up to 40 lbs; requires sitting and standing for extended periods or time.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
Veterinary Knowledge & Client Education
- Answers client's inquiries about basic animal care questions and routine procedures.
- Educates clients on over-the-counter products such as shampoos and nutraceuticals; has full knowledge of heartworm and external parasite preventives to promote client education and sales.
- Guides clients to make appropriate decisions regarding optimum pet care.
Admitting/Discharging Patients/Cash Handling
- Admits patients and handle medical record entries accurately.
- Prepares health certificates, immunization certificates, laboratory requests, and euthanasia authorizations.
- Handles client/patient transfers with ease.
- Prepares client invoices for services performed.
- Accurately handles payment transactions.
- Accurately and empathetically communicates estimates/treatment plans to clients.
- Bonds with clients during interactions.
- Keeps the front desk a positive area even in the event there is a client wait time.
- Works to maintain an effective veterinarian appointment schedule, screening emergencies and prioritizing cases that need to be seen.
Computer Knowledge / Telephone Skills
- Receives and relays telephone, fax, and email messages accurately and promptly.
- Answers telephones and handle calls quickly, efficiently and in a professional and friendly manner using a multi-line system.
- Enters and updates client and patient information into practice computer software.
- Has excellent computer skills and shows accuracy in inputting details. This is especially important as we are a paper-light practice.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Displays tact and respect with team members even when busy or hectic.
- Feels and expresses a genuine liking for animals and their owners and for working in an animal care field.
- Conducts oneself in a confident and professional manner with clients even when situations are stressful and/or focused on individual tasks.
- Deals intelligibly, pleasantly, and efficiently with clients, often doing several things at one time.
- Greets clients with poise and natural effort.
- Outlines costs and fees in a positive light while supporting hospital payment policies.
- Turns future clients (phone-shoppers) into clients through relationship building and bonding.
- Easily remembers clients and patients names and uses them.
- Handles client correspondence including procedure reminders, thank you cards, welcome cards, sympathy arrangements and cards, and A/R statements.
- Maintains a professional/welcoming appearance of the front office through cleaning and organization.
- Offers proper upkeep for and troubleshoot office equipment including computers, telephones, copiers, and scanner.
- Accurately maintains medical records in an electronic format.
- Works almost constantly in the presence of other staff members and clients.
- Understands and carries out oral and written directions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Powered by JazzHR
The Grand Lake Veterinary HospitalOakland, CA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.