Assistant Deli Managers are responsible for assisting with the managing department inventory, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, and other operational processes to company standards. Assistant Deli Managers will assist with ordering for the department and work with the Deli Manager and Deli Clerks according to the production tools and standards to maximize sales and gross profit. Assistant Deli Managers will work with the Deli Manager to ensure all new Deli associates and Cheese Specialist receive proper training and tools to succeed. Additionally, the Assistant Deli Manager will ensure receiving, unloading, storage, and rotation of merchandise and displays. Assistant Deli Managers will also ensure a high level of customer engagement and satisfaction at all times by answering customer questions regarding services and products offered.
- Manage and assists all functions and activities of the Deli and Cheese Department. Helps to reduce losses due to shrink, damage and pilferage.
- Handling, cutting, slicing and preparing a variety of the department’s specialty deli items and convenient meal solutions throughout the day per specific customer requests and to maintain quality product levels all while ensuring outstanding customer service at the counter.
- Demonstrate the ability to be organized, to work independently and with the team to provide a great atmosphere for both customers and employees, all while maintaining the overall appearance of the department; ensuring cases are well-merchandised and properly signed. Follow approved procedures for receiving, and breaking down deli and cheese products.
- Assist with managing of inventory and ordering for the department; enforces and follows department practices regarding receiving, stocking and the unloading of product to ensure freshness and quality. Unloading and breaking down deliveries; stocking cases and coolers with products; maintain proper product assortment, merchandising product quality in hot/cold cases and on the sales floor; following rotation standards when replenishing product levels.
- Assisting with the making of deli items, trays, and platters according to TFM written recipes and processes for preparing, assembling, and mixing fresh ingredients. Preparation includes a variety of steps that may include: cutting, chopping, slicing, and mixing produce, and other food products together as indicated within TFM recipes.
- Follow and utilize the department production tools and perform other duties and assignments as directed by management.
- Monitors temperature of cases, spill overs, ovens and storage areas and reports any failures to the Department Manager. Follows maintenance and sanitation procedures established by TFM for coolers, freezers, and ovens, and reports problems to store management.
- Quality and safety duties include receiving, inspecting and storing products to ensure quality, following proper cleaning and sanitation procedures, operating equipment in a safe and focused manner while tracking date and rotation of products and completing any necessary reports. Follow all company guidelines and procedures, to include but not limited to, safety and sanitation and preparation while providing overall exceptional service to ensure a positive and lasting customer impression. Prep area cleaning includes disassembling, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all equipment, prep-tables, pans, and utensils, and washing floors, walls, coolers, ovens, and storage racks. Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Observe all store rules, Company policies and handbook guidelines, shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by store management. Must wear approved hat, hair net, nonslip shoes, and/or beard guard.
- Maintains knowledge of weekly ad items; gives customers direction of product location throughout the store.
- Maintains excellent communication within the deli/cheese department and store management at all times.
- Directly participates in on-the-job training efforts in the department.
- Addressing and greeting customers; answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product recommendations and accommodating special requests and sampling as needed.
- Responsible for the financial and overall success of the department.
- Ensuring the retention of employees and minimizing labor costs.
- Demonstrating the necessary leadership skills.
- Ability to listen to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences.
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring practices are strictly adhered to TFM standards.
- Prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within specified deadlines.
- Utilize training resources and fellow team members to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics.
- Have knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide and assist customers in finding complete meal solutions.
- Oral and written communication skills that allow for productive communication with co-workers, management and customers.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
What you bring to the job:
- Organization and highly detailed oriented
- Ability to prioritize
- Ability to follow through on deliverables and meet objectives and deadlines
- A LOVE of food
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Superior customer focus
- Be a team player, goal-oriented
- Excellent time management
- Ability to perform in an intense, fast paced environment
Work Environment/Physical Responsibilities
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment.
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, repetitive grasping, bending and reaching.
- Responsible for moving or lifting an average of 20-40lbs.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.).
- The safe and proper handling of slicers, knives, saws, grinders and other kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours.
At The Fresh Market we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. The Fresh Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled. The position covered by this is expressly declared to be 'at will,' meaning the Company has the right to terminate the incumbent's employment at any time, with or without cause. Any written or oral promises or representations to the contrary are expressly disavowed and should not be relied upon by any employee. Any change to this 'at will' employment status must be in writing and signed by the company designated personnel.