Job Description: Community Support Worker
General Job Description:
The Community Support Services staff will work with individuals with serious/chronic mental illness, by visiting them in the community; help consumers with skill building to facilitate the management of their illness such as symptoms identification, crisis planning, and medication benefits/side effects. Teach independent living skills such as, the use of public transportation, budgeting, nutrition planning and other social skills. Provide assistance with applications and coordination of entitlement benefits such as SSI/SSDI, Medicare, Medicaid Food Stamps, and housing subsidies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in the development of the consumer’s treatment plan; and assume responsibility for the implementation of the goals stated in the treatment plan
- Provide assistance and support for the consumer in stressor situations; specifically, assist the consumers with multi-agency coordination, resource identification and linkage
- Provide mental health education, support and consultation to consumers' families and their support system, which is directed exclusively to the well-being and benefit of the consumer. Provide services primarily in natural settings, including the consumer's home or other community setting
- Provide individual mental health interventions for the development of interpersonal and community coping skills, including adapting to home, school, and work environments
- Assist consumers in symptom self-monitoring and self-management for the identification and minimization of the negative effects of psychiatric symptoms, which interfere with the consumer's daily living, financial management, personal development, or school or work performance; assist consumers to obtain initial and/or lost financial benefits
- Maintain current encounter notes, and complete all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Complete Monthly Reports for each consumer on assigned caseload
- Assist consumers in increasing social support skills and networks that improve life stresses resulting from the consumer's mental illness or emotional disturbance and are necessary to enable and maintain the consumer's independent living, inclusive of assisting consumers obtain appropriate housing resources
- Ensure that each assigned consumer has a crisis plan that is shared with all appropriate support network members
- Assist consumers to develop strategies and supportive mental health intervention(s) for avoiding out-of-community/home placement for adults, children, and youth and assist in building stronger family support skills and knowledge of the adult, child, or youth's strengths and limitations
- Assist in the development of mental health relapse prevention strategies and plans
- Participate in weekly multi-disciplinary team meetings
- Attend individual weekly supervision with the Clinical Director
- Participate in on-going training activities and maintain professional licensure where applicable.
- Complete all other duties as assigned by the Clinical Director.
- Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, human services, or related field
- MUST have working knowledge and direct experience with mental health diagnoses and symptoms
- Must own a car and possess a valid driver's license
- Possess a cell phone for which the number will be used as the contact by assigned consumers.
- Outstanding written, oral, organizational and time management skills
- Great work ethic and professional demeanor
- Respectful of other cultures
- Knowledge of iCAMS +
- Experience in facilitating/co facilitating groups
- Proficient in Microsoft word, excel and Microsoft outlook
- Candidate must have successfully completed a Metropolitan Police clearance, background check, submission to the child protection registry; drug and health screenings.
Females encouraged to apply