Newsy is looking for a decisive editor with excellent news judgment who can help coordinate Newsy's coverage across editorial teams to best serve daily audiences on our award-winning over-the-top TV apps and growing cable news channel. The senior coordinating editor will be responsible for coordinating coverage priorities and collaborating with newsroom managers to determine how each team will approach those topics. This role will also provide critical editing support on stories and special reporting projects as needed. Whether proposing incisive story angles or steering a report to success, this person should be a creative thinker who's committed to collaboration.
The Senior Coordinating Editor will spearhead planning for coverage that's in line with Newsy's mission: straightforward and opinion-free, smart, solutions-focused and approachable journalism. This person will help us execute that mission through their coordination around both upcoming and day-of story priorities. They should be unafraid to zag when other media outlets zig, choosing priorities according to our mission and viewer benefit.
A background in radio, podcasting or video is preferred but not a requirement. This person should be someone who's passionate about news, excited about visual storytelling and, above all, a stellar editor.
What you'll do:
- Champion excellence in journalism
- Coordinate Newsy's coverage priorities across editorial teams and inspire urgency in execution
- Recommend coverage priorities aligned with Newsy's journalistic mission and ensure objectivity and context in our execution
- Propose smart, insightful story ideas corresponding with coverage priorities
- Lead twice-daily planning meetings
- Edit drafts, crafting the best possible story every time
- Support content with research, data, facts and ideas
- Work decisively and efficiently to enforce deadlines
- Uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility
What you'll bring:
- Strong journalistic instinct/judgment
- Excellent macro-editing and writing skills
- Ability to work creatively, efficiently and respectfully in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years of experience in newsroom leadership
- Background in radio, podcasting or video a plus
- Standard office environment
- Occasional travel may be required
- Nights, weekends or holidays may be required
Newsy is an over-the-top news network that provides "news with the why," built to inform and engage by delivering today's top stories across platforms. Its content is available in on-demand and linear formats on over-the-top (OTT) services including Hulu, Apple TV, Sling TV, Watchable from Comcast, Pluto TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast; connected television including Xumo; on mobile for iOS, Android and Kindle Fire; and at newsy.com.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.