Business Development Manager
- $60,000 to $80,000 Yearly
The Business Development Manager will explore potential partner relationships with software and services companies targeting specific solution categories that primarily benefit educational institutions, students, or faculty and staff. The BDM will utilize a strategic approach to determine if there is a good match between a prospective vendor’s products or services and the unique value proposition of DSS. For chosen partners, the BDM will then lead the process to create a contractual relationship with them and assist in the initial launch within the DSS organization and with customers.
Overview of Essential Duties / Functions:
- Seeking new opportunities within DSS’s targeted education markets then determining creative solutions to identify and develop new vendor contacts to pursue those opportunities.
- Partnering with others on the DSS team to identify gaps within current product offerings and also understand existing new partner leads
- Evaluating prospective vendors seeking distribution services from DSS, tracking qualified leads, and communicating recommendations to DSS management.
- Utilizing multiple lead sources to research, plan and prioritize contacts with potential vendors maintaining and adding information to partner prospect database.
- Executing proactive outreach to targeted contacts including digital and in person methods to generate awareness, determine business needs and prospective vendors’ interest in DSS’s services.
- Developing and conducting “pitch” presentations with target partners to formally communicate a clear and compelling explanation of DSS’s business value and the benefits of a partnership.
- Communicating consistently and persistently with chosen companies to drive a new relationship from the prospect to the signed agreement stage.
- Working with DSS contract specialist as well as providing own support for contract negotiations and redlines.
- Through research and channel interaction, maintaining an understanding of the competitive landscape for existing and targeted product categories as well as emerging technologies.
- Maintaining key DSS customer contacts to assist in identifying new product opportunities and evaluate potential new vendor opportunities.
- Working with Product Management, Marketing, and Sales teams to develop launch plans for all new vendors.
- Successfully transitioning new vendors to the Product Management team.
- Advising marketing department and helping create effective sales proposals and presentations.
- Providing a positive and qualitative contribution to the success of vendor partners, the DSS team, and co-workers.
- Contributing to team activities and performing other responsibilities as conditions warrant.
Education / Experience:
- 3+ years of Business Development, Sales, or Product Management experience, preferably for a technology company with education market solutions or customers.
- Proven history of identifying and developing leads, managing an opportunity pipeline and meeting deal closing targets.
- Business terms and contract negotiation skills.
- Ability to distil technical features into compelling business benefits.
- Familiarity with multi-tier channel sales models.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Accountable: Committed to team success and leading a group that follow through with activities, provide regular feedback, and takes ownership exercising diligence and integrity in work activities.
- Analytical: Problem solver, investigative thinker who can synthesize and interpret complex and/or abstract data.
- Ethical: Follows acceptable set of values, exudes trust, honesty, and maintains highest level of professional standards.
- Interpersonal: Possesses high-level interpersonal skills with the ability to build partner and DSS team relationships including executives and all levels of business decision makers. Projects professional image and exercises tact and diplomacy.
- Initiative: Independent, self-motivated, proactive and success driven in seeking opportunities; anticipates and takes effective, constructive action; Responsive; Able and willing to take direction. Perseverance and unwillingness to give up.
- Organized: Able to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities.
- Consistently operates a computer and other office equipment such as a copy machine, computer printer, calculator, etc.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the work-day.
- Ability to frequently communicate, both verbally and written, with employees, management, vendors and customers.
Our relationship-driven philosophy, rooted in exceptional customer service, ensures our mutual successes.
The Douglas Stewart Company, IncMadison, WI
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.