Are you an experienced Histotechnologist looking to join a fast growing, private equity backed dermatology group practice with multiple locations throughout NY, PA, NJ and CT? Under new management, The Derm Group is in an exciting growth mode currently elevating the current brand, mission, culture and incentives.
At The Derm Group, we leave all egos at the door and concentrate on the job at hand. We value passionate, down to earth, “can do” people who enjoy fine-tuning small details, without losing sight of the big picture. We are looking for the type of person who feels uncomfortable when a day goes by without achieving something impactful. Someone who is driven to get things done and views obstacles as an exciting challenge that demands a creative solution. Above all else, this role requires someone who takes great pride in their work and is inspired and motivated by their role in improving the care of our patients. Consider joining a company that will appreciate your talent and hard work.
Role & Responsibilities
We are currently seeking a Histotechnologist to perform the various tasks required for receiving, processing, and preparing patient tissue specimens for microscopic examination and analysis by the Pathologist. This may include logging, batching, and cutting, mounting and staining procedures. Tissue specimens received from surgical and diagnostic cases are sorted, logged, and prioritized according to the standards required. The right candidate will be an experienced professional who can work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Receives specimens when delivered to the Laboratory
- Sorts specimens according to priority and difficulty of procedures and records in pathology log
- Embeds specimens and fixes tissue in formalin
- Operates instrumentation for tissue dehydration, section clearing, impregnation with paraffin, cutting tissue sections, and staining of slides
- Prepares solutions, stains, and reagents in accordance with standard written procedures
- Operates and maintains all histology area lab equipment in proper state of readiness, cleanliness, and sharpens and hones microtome knives
- Records number of tissue blocks verifying proper identification and label
- Performs and monitors inventory of supplies, equipment, and reagents used, and places orders for replacements as required
- Assists the Pathologist in gross examination of surgical specimens and in frozen section procedures
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisors
- Performs with a minimum of errors; works neatly and with accuracy regardless of volume of work
- Shows willingness to assist other laboratory personnel as workload permits
Required Education, Skills, Experience and License / Certification:
- High school diploma or GED required; Associates degree preferred
- Must be a Registered Histology Technician (ASCP) or be eligible for such registration
- Spatial ability is required to perceive three-dimensional and geometric relationship when cutting paraffin blocks and making embedding molds.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate the micro-thin tissue sections and to mount onto microscope slides
- Color discrimination required to verify diagnostic quality of staining processes in order that essential features of tissue sections can be properly defined.
- Educated on and compliant with HIPAA regulations; maintains strict confidentiality of client information
- A team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills needed
- Familiarity using EMR systems Ability to work within a team setting and as an individual contributor.
- Self-directed with the ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Flexible and cooperative in fulfilling all obligations.
- Ability, flexibility, and willingness to learn and grow as the company expands and changes.
If you are a hardworking team player looking to grow your career with a leading healthcare practice and are eager to contribute to our unique culture focused on teamwork and everyday excellence, please email your resume and salary expectations. No phone calls, please.
THE DERMATOLOGY GROUP is an Equal Opportunity Employer