Principle Electrical Engineer - FPGA
In this role, you will be responsible for designing electrical and electronic hardware for complex medical instruments in a multi-disciplinary environment. You will have the opportunity to work on a diverse set of product development efforts.
- Responsible for carrying out specific engineering project technical assignments as part of larger program objectives in the design and development of products, test equipment, or processes.
- Assist with the determination of design requirements. Recommend design architecture. Determine design feasibility, evaluate design alternatives, and select optimum design approach. Consult with higher level engineering personnel to resolve more complex design alternatives. Collaborate with the project team to solve complex technical problems, resolve design issues, and manage risk (technical and hazards). Maintain liaisons with other departments.
- Develop requirements, specifications, schematics, simulations (where applicable), assembly drawings, bills of material, and material cost estimates. Specify the design of cables and cable harness assemblies. Utilize electronic design tools such as schematic capture. Determine appropriate components, materials, and processes for specific applications. Work with service bureaus and suppliers on PCB layout, fabrication, and other design/test activities.
- Develop reliability models for electromechanical, electro-optical sub-assemblies and assemblies.
- Ensure component reliability based on technical evaluation of vendors’ designs and manufacturing processes.
- Review and implement design for manufacturing (DFM) and design for test (DFT) objectives.
- Evaluate and analyze designs to assure technical soundness.
- Prepare technical documents and reports. Prepare sub-system and module performance specifications. Prepare engineering specifications for major component purchases. Design engineering breadboards and prototypes. Evaluate engineering breadboards and prototypes and translate experimental results into design criteria.
- Lead or conduct experiments/tests to determine operating characteristics of breadboards, prototypes, products, or processes.
- Ensure that sound engineering principles are applied in laboratory or pilot plant work.
- Assist manufacturing in transition from development into production. Provide technical support as required during manufacturing, for example by resolving design related issues or by identifying replacement or substitute components. Specify phases of tests, investigation or analysis. Write ECO’s.
- Prepare reports of and write technical instructions for field tests or installations as required.
- Assist in troubleshooting customer application problems.
- Conduct field testing and research for new applications as required.
- Contribute to engineering project planning and tracking. Plan specific tasks for new projects. Estimate effort for and duration of specific tasks on a program. Assist in preparing cost estimates on proposed design products. Evaluate project feasibility and risks.
- Responsibility for successful completion (schedule, performance, and cost) of tasks and designs, and for communicating status, schedule conflicts, resource needs to the program manager, functional manager, and/or lead engineer.
- Participate in preparing proposals for new projects.
- On a project or on-going basis, provide technical direction to other engineering personnel, primarily technicians.
- Contribute to process improvements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with 8 electrical engineering, electronic design, and FPGA development.
- Must have experience with medical devices or automation products.
- CPLD experience
- VDHL experience
- Leadership experience
- Digital and Analog circuit design experience.
- Incumbents must possess intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields.
- Design experience should include DSP, FPGA and PCB design, Matlab, and electromechanical systems experience, stepper and servo motors.
- Xilinx experience, including Zynq and the Vivado design environment, is preferred.
- Must be able to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Must have good computer skills.