Administrative Assistant - Mayor's Office
- Expired: August 01, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
The City of Independence is looking for an experienced Administrative Assistant to assist in the administrative functions of the Mayor's Office. The Administrative Assistant will report to the Executive Assistant to the Mayor. This role supports the mission of the Mayor's Office and involves interaction with City employees, the public, and visitors. The successful candidate must be able to perform a variety of administrative, coordination, and office duties and must possess the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, work effectively as part of a team and maintain confidentiality with sensitive issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Executive Assistant, provides administrative support to the Mayor's Office, as well as assisting with special events, projects and ongoing operations, including but not limited to: Participating on Home Days, Arbor Day, Tree Lighting, Senior Christmas Party, State of the City, Employee Appreciation Luncheon, etc. committees as needed; Assists with the coordination of city-wide mailings and communication in conjunction with the City's Communication Director as requested. Serves as primary backup for Executive Assistant and Receptionist when absent or unavailable. Develops and maintains effective relationships with Department Directors, Council Members, Commission and Board Members, Law Department and residents; takes initiative and action to respond, resolve, and follow up in a timely manner. Communicates professionally in written or verbal format with City staff and the public to answer inquiries and provide information; informs and directs visitors to their proper destination.
Additional duties may include:
- Gathers information to draft proclamations.
- Prepare memos, letters, reports and other documents using Microsoft Office, spreadsheets, and/or presentation software as requested.
- Refers non-routine, sensitive and/or complex requests for information and other inquiries or complaints to appropriate staff.
- Maintaining applicable City records and files by filing rosters, directories, correspondence and other related materials.
- Assist Mayor's Office with records retention and records destruction.
- Excellent Communication Skills- written and verbal
- Exceptional Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Attention to detail
- Planning and organizing
- Administrative Assistant experience (preferred)
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, advanced skill in Word and Excel.
Skill and Ability to:
- Organize work in a logical and efficient manner
- Organize and maintain record-keeping systems
- Perform accurate and efficient data-entry using a computer keyboard and terminal
- Operate standard office equipment (examples noted above)
- Follow departmental or operational procedures and practices
- Compose routine and complex correspondence
- Perform simple and complex bookkeeping functions
- Prepare accurate and precise reports after investigating, compiling, analyzing and summarizing information
- Recognize unusual situations, developing and presenting recommendations
- Develop and implement clerical work processes, forms, etc.
- Communicate effectively with others both verbally and in writing
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, co-workers and general public
- Work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Be flexible and work in a myriad of environments with interruptions
- Maintain confidentiality
Education: BA in Business Administration, Communications, Public Relations and/or related field preferred but not required. Coursework in office administration is highly desirable.
Experience: Three years' paid work experience performing a wide range of administrative, accounting and supervisory duties using modern computer software in an environment characterized by a moderate amount of interruption and multiple simultaneous tasks
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and be able to lift up to 20 lbs. when necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The City of Independence is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The City of Independence Ohio
6800 Brecksville RdIndependence, OH
BusinessView all jobs at The City of Independence Ohio