Senior Transportation Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
- $105,000 Yearly
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
SENIOR TRANSPORTATION ENGINEER
The City of Falls Church (CFC) Department of Public Works (DPW) is seeking a full-time Senior Transportation Engineer who is highly motivated, creative, and responsible, with strong public communication skills. The responsibilities of this position will have a strong transportation engineering focus.
The City of Falls Church is perfectly situated between Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia. It is a very engaging and thriving small community with growing commercial and residential development. The Department of Public Works is responsible for maintaining the City’s core infrastructure and providing basic services to citizens. We are seeking a self-sufficient, technically competent, motivated individual to join our engineering team.
The individual selected for this position will work closely with staff within the Department of Public Works as well as other departments. Excellent organizational skills, the ability to work in field conditions and to communicate well - both orally and in writing - are essential functions of this position. The ideal candidate will have experience in urban transportation engineering with comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering and implementation in a public works setting. The City has a strong commitment to improve pedestrian and cyclist safety and mobility, and is looking for a proactive engineer that brings a progressive, open mind to implement inventive, safe, and collaborative ideas throughout the City.
- Manage the City’s transportation infrastructure and prioritize improvements.
- Work with Public Works Operations to plan the installation, repair or modification of signs and pavement marking.
- Receive and respond to citizen inquiries and requests and establish priorities.
- Support the Citizens Advisory Committee on Transportation (CACT) and attend monthly meetings.
- Support technical presentations in public venues including but not limited to Planning Commission, City Council, Town Hall meetings, and various committee meetings.
- Provide technical assistance on public and private plan review.
- Familiarity with AASHTO, ADA/PROWAG, NACTO, VDOT, and FHWA regulations and standards ideal.
- Manage design and construction contracts for locally funded projects.
- Support in the creation of bid documents and technical specifications.
- Provide technical direction and support to other Engineers, Project Managers, Planners and other City Staff.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Degree in civil engineering or related field and registration as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia (or ability to obtain reciprocity from the Virginia Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects within six (6) months of hire).
- At least five (5) years of experience in a responsible position in the transportation engineering field.
- Demonstrated ability to work with construction contractors to design, lay-out and implement small construction projects.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Traffic and transportation planning/engineering experience.
- Project management experience and/or training.
- Experience required in plan review, particularly as it relates transportation best practices.
Salary & Benefits: $105,000 - $120,000. In addition, the City also offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, pension plan, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, college savings plan, life and long-term disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, free parking, credit union membership, and more. See www.fallschurchva.gov for additional information
Powered by ExactHire:105119
The City of Falls Church Virginia
AddressFalls Church, VA
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?