Maintenance Worker III
- Posted: over a month ago
- $41,876 Yearly
- Benefits: life insurance, medical, vision, dental,
Maintenance Worker III
Class 114 - $41,876 - $69,135
Closing Date: December 1, 2022
The Department of Public Works is recruiting for a full-time Maintenance Worker III. The individuals selected will work in the Public Works Department. A Maintenance Worker III performs varied laboring tasks which involve the use of skills acquired by experience or on-the-job instruction, acts as lead worker, and substitutes for the Senior Crew Leader when required. An employee in this class must be able to perform physical labor safely and efficiently. Positions in this class differ from those in the class of Maintenance Worker II because of the part-time supervision exercised, the lead worker activities performed, and/or the level of skilled work performed, i.e., concrete finishing, asphalt raking or manhole building a greater proportion of the time. Normally the Maintenance Worker III work under the supervision of a Senior Crew Leader who issues oral work orders and inspects work frequently. Employees in this class may supervise Equipment Operators I or II or Maintenance Workers I or II when acting as lead worker or substituting for Senior Crew Leader or Park Manager and assume responsibility for the crew's safety and completion of assigned tasks.
Falls Church is an independent city six miles from the nation's capital. It is small in area (2.2 square miles) and population (about 16,000). The city is known for its urban village community, quality customer service, nationally ranked school system, environmental activism, and endless community activities.
The City of Falls Church strives to improve the lives of its citizens while maintaining a positive impact and providing solutions to neighborhood communities and society as a whole.
Illustrative Examples of Work:
- Constructs, repairs, and/or patches streets, sidewalks, curbs and gutters. Constructs, repairs bike trails, storm and sanitary sewers, catch basins, manholes, barriers and fences;
- Maintains City rights-of-way;
- Participates with sewer crew in the clearing of catch basins and inlets;
- Cleans and maintains hand and motorized tools and equipment;
- Assists the Senior Crew Leader in the estimation of man hours, equipment, materials and costs to accomplish assigned tasks;
- Performs seasonal maintenance activities such as snow/ice removal, leaf removal;
- Supports special events and City festivals;
- Ensures worksite safety, responsible for crew safety policy compliance;
- Provides tailgate training and instruction to crew to support standards and approaches to maintenance issues;
- Provides on the job orientation, teaches new skills to staff and instructs on proper maintenance methods;
- Repairs damaged brick walls, places mulch around trees and shrubs, inspects and removes debris and/or roots from sewer lines, cleans stream beds, culverts, and drainage ditches of natural and manmade debris;
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks;
- ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- skill in the use of the tools of the trade;
- ability to read and write;
- ability to perform heavy manual work for an extended period and sometimes under adverse weather conditions;
- ability to lead crews in their work assignments;
- the ability to read cut sheets and site plans when position requires.
- High School Diploma or GED;
- at least five years of experience in performing semi-skilled/skilled maintenance or construction tasks;
- knowledge of turf and/or grounds maintenance;
- three years’ experience as a lead worker in any related trade; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required, knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Possession of a valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License.
- Completion of vocational training or apprenticeship level courses in any trade;
- thorough knowledge and experience in a variety of semi-skilled/skilled maintenance or construction tasks;
- thorough knowledge and use of related equipment and tools used in turf/grounds maintenance and/or construction field/trade;
- five years’ experience as a lead worker or crew leader;
- ability to work from written instructions, cut sheets and site plans;
- ability to physically perform heavy manual labor and to lead a crew in their assignments.
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
Salary & Benefits: Up to $55,505 + depending on qualifications to start. Benefits package includes pension plan, health insurance, dental insurance, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, college savings plan, life and long-term disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, credit union membership, free parking, and more. City uniforms are supplied for wear while on the job. See more details on benefits here.
HOURS: 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, plus overtime emergency hours as required.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The City of Falls Church does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age or disability.
Reasonable Accommodation: During the selection process, applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation with the agreement of the Human Resources Division. Requests should be directed to the Human Resources Division.
All City Facilities Are Smoke Free
Powered by ExactHire:97966
The City of Falls Church Virginia
AddressFalls Church, VA
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?