Estimator (General Trades / Carpentry)
- Medical , Retirement
Build More with Your Career at Christman
With projects throughout the greater Mid-Atlantic, Christman Building Innovation Group is a great place to begin, continue or grow your career. We are searching for the next generation of innovative minds who want to shape the world and live to build. We are looking for Estimator candidates in the DC Metro region to join our growing team!
What You Will Do:
As an Estimator, you will assist throughout the preconstruction process by leading cost-estimating efforts to produce accurate construction cost budgets and estimates. This role will provide input to conceptualize and interpret the scope from incomplete or schematic documents and work closely with other members of the project team. Additionally, your primary daily responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Experience in takeoff and pricing of wood blocking, finish carpentry, doors, frames and hardware, accessories, and millwork/casework installation.
- Metal stud/drywall and acoustic ceiling takeoff and pricing.
- Demonstrates conceptual estimating proficiency in the scope review process, subcontractor knowledge, information of On-Screen Takeoff and estimating software platforms, and in interiors estimating.
- Develops skills in structural and civil estimating at concept and schematic design.
- Developing knowledge of client relations and estimate presentations.
- Greater depth of knowledge with regard to technical specifications.
- Greater depth of knowledge with regard to pricing levels.
- Meets deadline challenges and has the ability to prioritize multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Work in conjunction with the bid team to prepare accurate bid proposals.
- Provide technical assistance to Project Managers in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc. as required.
- Assure clean handoff of estimate, bidding information, drawings, specifications, etc. to project management team.
- Perform quantity take-offs.
- Honor the brand promises of the Project Planning Group at Christman. Foundational to our brand is: providing accurate costing; proactively offering creative solutions for the team; and understanding our client's business to optimize capital investment and to win as a team
What You Will Bring to the Team:
Required experience, knowledge, and skills for this role include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, Engineering, Business, Finance or a related job field.
- Five (5) years of work experience in estimating or construction project management roles - preference to candidates with experience in specialty construction services.
- -OR- Equivalent combination of the above education, training, and experience.
- Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- The ability to contribute as a member of a team and help others succeed is very important for success at Christman. Planning successful projects is done best when there is a high-performance project team assisting our clients in making critical design decisions. Attributes include being self-motivated; a problem solver; creative thinking; and having a comfort level of presenting concepts and ideas.
- Well organized, excellent communication, and negotiation abilities.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions, and trade practices.
- Must have the conceptual ability to work with minimum information and quickly develop an understanding of the owner and/or architect's requirements.
- Complete knowledge of the estimating documents and the ability to provide accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis of the documents.
- Familiarity with construction project management software.
- Strong computer knowledge in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Here at Christman, everyone is an owner. Through our employee stock ownership plan, each employee-owner shares in the collective success and wealth of our nationally recognized company and is eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program, including health insurance, 401K contribution, professional development and tuition reimbursement, and more.
CBIG was created to initiate, champion and drive innovation and excellence across Christman's multiple self-perform entities. In addition to 485 construction management and general contracting professionals, Christman currently employs more than 400 skilled tradesmen and women in carpentry, demolition, concrete, mass timber, earthwork, interiors, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, service and more.
This group of construction and estimating professionals drives better service, cost efficiencies, safety solutions, technology advances and innovative practices for Christman's self-perform operations nationally. CBIG connects our craftsmen and women to build upon regional successes and lessons learned across our offices in Michigan, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Learn more about how you can grow as a Christman Expert, Leader and Partner and build more with us.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
This position will be conducted in a temperature controlled professional office environment, with moderate noise. The role will routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, and file cabinets. While performing the duties of this role, the employee is regularly required to talk, listen sit, walk, reach, kneel, stoop, crouch, and use hands and fingers to handle or feel and to operate a computer keyboard and phone while maintaining visual acuity. The employee may occasionally be required to lift and or carry lightweight (under 20 pounds) objects. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Notice to Recruiting Agencies (Unsolicited Resumes): The Christman Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our applicant tracking system, website, or to any Christman employee/affiliates. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Christman employees or its' affiliates will be considered property of The Christman Company and will be processed accordingly. Christman will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume without an executed agreement and assigned to a specific search.
The Christman family of companies is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability status. Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
The Christman CompanySterling, VA
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.