Reporting directly to the Associate Medical Director, the Adult Hematologist is responsible to provide medical services within the scope of licensing, training, and credentialing in accordance with current standards of safety, quality and care at CIBD’s Clinic. Specifically, the Adult Hematologist will provide Comprehensive evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of all forms of congenital or acquired blood and benign bone marrow disorders in a community based clinic environment, in accordance to requirements of State and Federal regulatory agencies and CIBD policies, procedures and protocols. The Adult Hematologist Collaborates in a multidisciplinary team of care comprised of nurses, psychologists, social workers, physical therapists and pharmacists to care for our patients.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Job Duties are focused in four areas:
- Comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of all forms of congenital or acquired blood and benign bone marrow disorders including:
- Red cell disorders including anemia, sickle cell anemia, thalassemia and other hemoglobinopathies
- White cell disorders and/or immune deficiencies
- Coagulation abnormalities, including hyper-coagulopathies, hemophilia, VonWillebrand’s Disease and related bleeding disorders
- Rare blood disorders
- Auto-immune disorders of the blood
- Platelet dysfunctions including quantitative and qualitative
- Hemostasis/Thrombosis Program
- Comprehensive assessment of disease activity and extent of physical disability
- Psychosocial function assessment and assistance
- Provides patient education as needed, including child and family education involving goal setting
- Development of comprehensive treatment plan that includes specialized consultative services
- Active consultation services at CHOC, St Joseph’s Orange, UCI and other area hospitals
- Teach residents, fellows, and other students
- Documents consultations into the Electronic Medical Record
- Completes appropriate paperwork to comply with insurance and reimbursement guidelines.
- Provides medical orders for prescription refills, administration of medications, ancillary testing, and/or referrals.
- Reviews ancillary test results and coordinates notification to the patient.
- Participate in Clinical or translational research in hematology.
- Spend dedicated time and support for research in the area of Hematology.
- Perform inpatient consults and take calls on an as needed basis.
- Supervision of postdoctoral fellows and other team members in clinic as assigned by Associate Medical Director.
- Provide teaching for residents taking an hematology elective, including attending morning report and noon lectures
- Responsible for returning phone calls involving patient’s questions to physicians
- Review laboratory results and provide feedback in a timely manner
- Participates in on-call schedule.
- Work closely with Medical Director and Associate Medical Director to provide leadership and medical direction for the clinic.
- Attend all staff, clinical and other special meetings as requested.
- Represent CIBD at educational events and other functions as requested.
- Observe and maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Responsible for assisting with treatment protocols utilized by CIBD.
- Participate in public relations and community outreach activities, as clinic shall from time to time, reasonably request.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Required Education: Graduation from an accredited Medical school including advanced training in Hematology.
Experience working with Hematology patients.
1-3 years of experience in acute care or ambulatory settings.
Maintain appropriate licensure and certification including meeting and/or exceeding CME requirements
Basic Life Support
Valid California Medical License
Language Abilities: Ability to speak, read, write and effectively communicate in English.
1. Knowledge of standardized medical procedures in compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
2. Solid understanding of regulatory requirements.
3. Proficiency with Electronic Medical Record databases.
4. Demonstrated basic clinical competency in hematology care/treatments and related standards/practices.
Attributes & Abilities:
The ideal candidate must possess values that allows him or her to develop a belief in CIBD’s mission. The successful candidate will possess and leverage the following attributes/skills:
· An effective communication style that can be leveraged to maintain strong interpersonal relationships with providers and clinical staff.
· Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and work effectively with others at all levels.
· Takes pride in his/her work and observes standards of medical care
· Demonstrated effective written and verbal communications skills.
· Trustworthy, understands the need to maintain appropriate level of confidentiality and privacy.
· Ability to work under pressure, ability to effectively handle multiple items and tasks as required and to adapt favorably to changing priorities.
· Effectively prioritizes tasks and projects as required.
· Subscribes to a customer first philosophy.
· Treats all staff and patients in a courteous and respectful manner at all times.
· Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultures, ages and backgrounds.
· A keen appreciation and understanding of CIBD’s mission and philosophy including dedication and commitment to:
ü Creating a professional environment that supports the mission, goals and values of the organization
ü Achieving organizational success through active participation and cooperation with team members
ü Improving public health