Director of Operations (Remote)
- Expired: August 26, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
The Center for Black Educator Development exists to (re)build a national Black Teacher Pipeline to achieve educational and racial justice by ensuring there is equity in the recruiting, training, hiring, and retention of quality educators that reflect the cultural background and share common socio-political interests of the students they serve. Launched in June 2019, the Center for Black Educator Development is revolutionizing education by dramatically increasing the number of Black educators so that low-income Black and other disenfranchised students can reap the full benefits of a quality public education. Learn about our key strategies to build a national Black Teacher Pipeline by visiting our website at www.thecenterblacked.org.
About the Position
The Director of Operations is responsible for developing and managing all operations and administrative systems to ensure effective and efficient functioning of the organization. The DoO manages and is responsible for all non-programmatic systems and processes at CBED. The Director will provide effective leadership by actively learning the different components of CBED's programs, continuously improving processes, partnering across departments on strategy and implementation, and instilling CBED's values across the organization. The DoO will also be responsible for the delivery and management of key HR functions such as benefits administration, onboarding, and recruitment and hiring. The Director of Operations will demonstrate expertise in project management, process improvement and design, change management, and stakeholder engagement.
- Develop, implement and communicate Center policies and procedures that ensure efficient and effective operations across the organization particularly in the areas of human resources, finance, and development
- Advise COO on a variety of issues; makes recommendations regarding policy or procedural changes within the Operations Team; Analyzes problem areas and identifies areas for improvement; Develops recommendations for solutions and courses of action for implementation; Implements policy changes and process improvements and provides updates on progress.
- Positively engage with department leaders to facilitate the development of department goals and objectives to support opportunities towards excellence; promoting strategy and tactics under all non-programmatic departments, in order to support these goals
- Lead efforts to continuously innovate our systems, operations, and processes
- Partner with finance to maintain grants, program budgets; contribute to the development and implementation of cost-saving measures
- Manage the Operations Associate in developing and overseeing administrative policies and procedures and provide professional development.
- Process contracts, invoicing, and billing related to vendors and consultants
- Develop and deliver training on process and platforms
- Work with leaders and team members to ensure that we have the tools and technologies (software and equipment) necessary for effective and efficient operations
- Manage independent contractors and vendor relationships serving the organization in accounting, human resources, legal marketing, strategic planning, IT, and development
- Manage existing benefits systems and processes and research and secure new benefits as the organization grows
- Manage human resources processes including development and implementation of recruiting and hiring strategies, managing applicant tracking system, and onboarding of new team members
- Manage human resources processes including performance management, employee engagement, the HRIS, and offboarding
- Partner with finance to create mechanisms for quarterly budget updates
- Ensure registration and compliance with states in which our employees reside
- Ensure organization-wide compliance with health and safety laws
- Vendor Management - Procure and manage all external vendors needed for the smooth and successful operations per CBED standards
- Manage the operational logistics of all full staff meetings and in coordination with other leaders, manage logistics for org-wide events and other operational systems
- Establish and maintain effective org-wide communications with the team
- Serve as liaison to the Board of Directors and Advisory Board
Background and experience expectations:
- Bachelor's degree with 5-7 years of administrative experience in a non-profit environment; at least two (2) years of management experience
- Strong computer skills required including experience working in database software, an affinity for learning new platforms, and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Exceptional attention to detail and organization skills required
- Strong customer-service and communication skills (both written and verbal) required
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills with a proven track record required
- Prior school operations experience preferred
Other work requirements:
- Must have access to a dedicated workspace, phone, and internet access
- Must be able to lift materials of up to 20lbs
Skills that will allow you to be successful:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organization skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Works with a sense of urgency and commits to timeliness and deadlines
- Superb customer service skills and love for supporting staff and teammate
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team on collaborative projects
- Ability to remain calm and solutions-oriented in high-stress situations
- Commitment to ensure our team have what they need to be successful
- Ability to proactively problem solve; anticipate challenges before they occur
- Ability to identify inefficiencies and generate creative solutions
- Ability to develop and manage multiple projects simultaneously and comfortably with ambiguity
- Ability to troubleshoot and manage high stress situations with a calm and positive demeanor
What We Offer
We promote professional growth and development by providing access to:
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Additional employee benefits include:
- Healthcare: medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Retirement savings program
- Paid time off and holiday schedule
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible work environment
The Center for Black Educator Development
Get fresh Chief Operations jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.