Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic - Central Virginia
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Retirement
Caton Construction Group, one of The Caton Companies, is GROWING! We are seeking a Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic to service and repair our fleet of heavy construction equipment. This position will be based out of our corporate headquarters in Troy, Virginia, and will serve construction projects throughout Virginia and North Carolina.
The Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic, under general supervision, an employee in this class is responsible for field and shop skilled diagnostics, maintenance and repair of engines and hydraulics, transmissions, and electrical systems powering heavy duty equipment, including trucks, road construction and maintenance machinery and vehicles and medium and light weight equipment.
· Follow a checklist of inspection procedures
· Test drive vehicles to diagnose malfunctions
· Read and interpret diagnostic test results, often by using dials, gauges, and other computer equipment
· Raise trucks, buses, and heavy parts or equipment by using hydraulic jacks or hoists
· Inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, transmissions, engines, and other parts of vehicles
· Do routine maintenance, such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and parts
· Repair or replace malfunctioning components, parts, and other mechanical or electrical equipment
· Disassemble and reassemble equipment and parts
· Performs equipment and electrical troubleshooting to test operational efficiency of engines and drive train, hydraulic and exhaust systems, etc. and determines the cause(s) of malfunction(s).
· May provide lead work direction to other mechanics, semiskilled or unskilled workers and may direct shop operations in absence of supervisor.
· Troubleshoot, replace, and repair equipment in the field so that equipment is kept in operational condition by making emergency repairs; performing preventive maintenance tests on equipment; troubleshooting equipment for hydraulic, mechanical, and electrical problems; and performing body modifications and repair work to mechanical equipment at field sites.
· Maintain and repair light, medium, and heavy equipment so that down time is minimized and equipment is available when needed by repairing and overhauling engines, cooling system, heating and air conditioning systems, air, and hydraulic systems and electronically operated brakes and other equipment, transmission and drive train systems, and electrical monitoring systems on equipment such as loaders, excavators, dozers, tractors, off road trucks ,and graders.
· Repair and/or fabricate parts so that equipment is operational when needed by fabricating, modifying, and installing special equipment; making use of acetylene and arc welding equipment; restoring vehicle bodies to manufactured condition; making use of special tools and body paint colors.
· Check equipment to monitor condition so that needed repairs are completed and down time is minimized by making preventive maintenance inspections; checking for major repairs; diagnosing defective components; making arrival inspections on new equipment; recommending repairs; performing emergency repairs; completing written reports on unit repair records
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evening and weekend work will be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel is expected as project equipment needs arise.
Required Education and Experience
· High School Diploma or equivalent
· High school or postsecondary courses in automotive repair, diesel engine repair, electronics, and mathematics
Excellent Company benefits including two weeks PTO for the first year, medical/dental/vision plan, 401K with company match and great team environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities and females are encouraged to apply.
The Caton CompaniesCharlottesville, VA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.