Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) – 1 to 2 days a week - desired for a small cat-only veterinary hospital in Flatiron/Chelsea area of lower Manhattan (www.thecatpractice.com). A minimum of 2 years experience in a veterinary setting is required for your resume to be reviewed. The Licensed Veterinary Technician's key role is to provide assistance to the veterinarian and to carry out the veterinarian's medical orders, assist with procedures and appointments, as well as take care of the everyday needs of pets in the hospital ward and help maintain the hospital facility. This position also helps with light reception duties when needed that are shared with other assistants. Candidates that are highly experienced in dentistry and OR assistance are ideal for this position.
Please include a detailed COVER LETTER, RESUME, and contact information for REFERENCES (which must include a veterinarian you have worked for as reference) when submitting your application. The schedule days are flexible, which will be agreed upon at time of hiring – 1 to 2 days a week, at the preference of the LVT (options at this time are any day from Tuesday to Friday). Each shift starts at 9:00AM and ends at 6:00PM. Salary will be $21-$28/hr for qualified licensed technicians; salary is dependent on experience. Licensed eligible technicians are also encouraged to apply for a similar position at our facility. There are no health benefits at this time.
An employee in this position must have a sense of caring for animals, be able to lift approximately 25 pounds, work on their feet all day, and read and communicate in English.
- Care- Provide compassionate care for pets. Provide friendly interaction with clients and animals.
- Medical care- Give medications, assist or perform treatments, diagnostics and monitoring, place IV catheters, draw blood, run lab tests, administer IV fluids, etc.
- Clinic technician- Assist doctor with appointments, preparing, restocking, cleaning exam room, check patients in and out, take history and vitals, and ensure a smooth and timely flow of outpatient appointments from the check-in to the discharge.
- Anesthesia- Maintenance, monitoring, recording, and recovery of patients; clean / maintain anesthesia equipment.
- Surgery- Surgical prep, veterinarian assistance; clean, sterilize, wrap surgical packs, and maintain all surgical instruments and/or equipment.
- Dentistry- Provide patient dental care, ultrasonic cleaning and polishing, assist doctor with dental surgery, take dental radiographs.
- Radiology- Position patients and take radiographs.
- Laboratory duties- Collect, prepare, and run or submit samples for requested tests; read and record results as requested by a veterinarian.
- Boarding- When needed, manage and help veterinary assistants with feeding, cleaning cages, and exercising boarding animals.
- Client communication- Give patient updates, discharge instructions, and provide follow up for certain hospital patients.
- Client medical demonstrations / education- At home care about medication, fluids, shots, and other tests.
- Follow legal standards- Always adhere to OSHA standards and all laws applicable to veterinary hospitals.
- Prepare documents- Invoices, discharge sheets, procedure authorizations, and client information packs.
- Assist with reception / front desk- When needed, help with answering phones, booking appointments, and admitting / discharging patients.
- Assist in training and mentoring new team members.
- Inventory control- Document all inventory usage history; unpacking, restocking drug and medical supplies.
- Medication- Prepare prescriptions; dispense medications and medication refills as needed.
- Hospital cleaning- As needed, assist in cleaning hospital facilities, including bathrooms, reception, and boarding area.