- Expired: May 25, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Carlisle Group is conducting a retained search for the next General Manager of Swarthmore Co-op in beautiful Swarthmore, PA (in the suburbs of Philadelphia).
Swarthmore is a tree-lined residential community of distinctive homes and quiet neighborhoods, anchored by the campus of Swarthmore College. At the center of our town is a downtown core of shops. Here you will find a collection of independent, unique stores that appeal of all of your needs, with merchants who provide highly personalized service. Shopping in Downtown Swarthmore helps to keep our businesses vital while maintaining a strong sense of community. It’s also a place to meet old friends and make new ones.
Community and volunteer minded, Swarthmore is a great place to live, work and visit!
The Swarthmore Co-op is the third oldest food cooperative in the country, with a long history of serving as a community anchor and beloved neighborhood grocery store for both its owners and non-member shoppers -- "anyone can shop and anyone can join.” We live our store’s mantra, “Fresh, Friendly, Local,” by emphasizing local and sustainably grown/raised items while maintaining a full-service community grocery store that anchors the business district. In addition to groceries, the Co-op offers a wide variety of hot and cold prepared foods, beer and wine, and a community gathering place.
This member-owned market makes Swarthmore and its surrounding communities healthier and more vibrant, fosters the food system, and forges meaningful connections among member-owners, customers, and workers in a welcoming environment.
The Co-op has approximately $6.1M in annual revenues and about 30 employees.
Cooperative businesses are member-owned, democratic institutions. They are controlled by a member-elected Board of Directors and abide by the Seven International Cooperative Principles, which include:
- Voluntary, Open Ownership
- Democratic Owner Control
- Owner Economic Participation
- Autonomy And Independence
- Education, Training And Information
- Cooperation Among Cooperatives
- Concern For The Community
Their goods emphasize healthy, locally grown, organic, and fairly traded selections. They are also committed to strengthening the local economy by serving as a market place that uses fair buying and selling practices which support regional growers, vendors and artisans.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 3+ years of experience in retail grocery management preferred
- 3+ years of experience working with a Board of Directors preferred
- Experience managing financial statements and projections.
- Experience managing a top-level management team and staff.
- Previous experience creating and developing effective procedural standards.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent certificate.
The Carlisle Group
RetailView all jobs at The Carlisle Group