Class B Driver
- Posted: over a month ago
The Building Center, Inc.
Job Title: Driver
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.Role and Responsibilities
- Prepare truck for operation by assisting in and overseeing the loading of trucks, securing of items and verifying the accuracy of shipping papers
- Inspect truck tires, lights, brakes, fluids, etc. to ensure safe and cost-effective performance with preventive maintenance in mind
- Deliver orders via the most effective route to ensure complete orders are delivered according to established time frames and customers' needs
- Maintain communication with company during deliveries to ensure any updated instructions are received
- Document delivery, accuracy and receipt of orders by the customer according to company directives and report any discrepancies to company
- Increase customer satisfaction by collecting information, feedback on service and resolving complaints per company policy; communicate information back to company
- Inform customers of new products and services that can increase customer satisfaction and sales
- Maintain and monitor truck maintenance and driving record requirements, and maintain required documents for safety, security and quality processes
- Update job knowledge
- Safely operate forklifts and other warehouse equipment as required
- Maintain a safe driving record free of violations
- Perform occasional warehouse and counter duties
- Maintain proficiency in computerized systems and other technologies as required
- Follow company policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred, but not necessary
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one- or two-step instructions.
- Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, and hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 200 pounds.
- Valid CDL Class A or B license
- Valid Class D license
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Building Center Inc., founded in the Charlotte metro market in 1977, has grown into one of the largest non-publicly traded lumber and building products dealers in the US, ranked # 47 over all in Pro Sales 2017 industry rankings.
'We've built our business on providing excellent and consistent service to our builder customers,' said CEO and founder, Ed Norris. Accordingly, The Building Center maintains a fleet of over 100 trucks to service the Carolina's, with lumberyards in Columbia SC, Rock Hill SC, Pineville NC, Gastonia NC, and Greensboro NC.
The Building Center leverages its sizable regional presence to purchase and sell branded and commodity products at competitive market prices. Inventories are maintained and managed to meet the needs of individual markets, regional building practices, and metro architectural trends.
'Our mission is to be our customer's most valued building partner,' said Skip Norris, president. 'That means we have products he or she needs on hand, trucks to deliver, and manufacturing support throughout every inch of the Carolina's.'
This level of ready product availability and service includes truss plants in north and central North Carolina, and mill work/door shops in both the Triad and Charlotte metro locations. Additionally, custom millwork and prefab components are built in Pineville, which also sources and fabricates exotic wood products like reclaimed lumber flooring, siding, cabinetry and mantles.
'At the end of the day, construction is a people business,' said Skip Norris. 'We're here to provide assistance and solutions to the hard-working customers we serve.'
The Building Center Inc
AddressRock Hill, SC
Transportation and StorageView all jobs at The Building Center Inc