This search is being managed by the search firm Human Capital Consultants, LLC. Please send resumes to William Howard at WHoward@HumanCapitalLLC.com
Join one of the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tanks!
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level.
We bring together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world, rooted in open-minded inquiry and representing diverse points of view, who provide the highest quality research, policy recommendations, and analysis. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy.
With fair and transparent business practices, clear communication, mutual respect, and a collaborative atmosphere that offers both professional and personal development opportunities, Brookings offers an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
Human Resources (HR) is part of the Operations team comprised of Facilities Management, Human Resources (HR), Library, and Information Technology Services (ITS). The Operations staff provides business support to the Institution by ensuring that the business operates in a professional and efficient manner.
Through strategic partnerships, the HR team proactively develops and implements HR best practices aligned with institutional goals. Our focus is to deliver high quality service to our internal clients and support the recruitment, development, recognition and retention of a high performing and diverse workforce.
Ready to contribute to Brookings success?
The Senior Benefits Administrator will be responsible for the administration of the health and welfare, retirement, and disability plans. The individual will aim for excellence in process management – to include design, document, and maintain ongoing adherence to good administrative procedures. Evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce cost and increase efficiency. Serve as a primary point of contact for colleagues in HR, Payroll, Legal, IT and Finance to advise on the interpretation of the benefit policies, programs, and procedures. Provide daily customer service support to employees on benefit-related matters. Ensure that the health and welfare, retirement, and disability benefits are widely and effectively communicated. Provide information to inform and educate employees and management on benefit plan changes. Effectively lead in investigating benefit/leave issues, administering benefit programs and recommending improvements to existing programs. Your work will be of utmost importance since the correct processing and distribution of benefits is vital for employee engagement, retention and satisfaction.
Benefits Program Management (40%)
- Support the design, implementation, and administration of all benefits and leave programs that are consistent with strategic priorities, including but not limited to: health insurance, retirement, disability, workers compensation, tuition assistance, transportation, legal resources, life insurance, FMLA, leave bank, flexible spending account plans and COBRA;
- Leverage the support of the HR Coordinator and HR Assistant in processing benefit transactions in a timely and effective manner by providing direction and guidance;
- Coordinate with senior management, accounting, and vendors on services, costs, and payment reconciliations;
- Manage the administration of benefits, retirement and wellness programs to include 403(b), 457(b), medical, dental, vision, life and disability, leave, FSA, and FMLA, COBRA, HSA;
- Plan, implement and communicate Open Enrollment, Wellness Events and other related activities
- Partner with and ensure deliverable from outside vendors and consultants in a timely manner
- Assist with the annual renewal planning process.
- Stay abreast of current trends, laws, and regulations to help ensure benefits are current and competitive;
- Ensure the organization’s filing and compliance do not violate federal and local regulations pertaining to benefits;
- Assist with the annual 403(b) audit and related processes.
HR Systems and Plan Operations (20%)
- Oversight and management of the annual open enrollment process, wellness events and other related activities;
- Review, approve as necessary, and submit benefits deductions for payroll capture;
- Oversee maintenance of employee benefit records. Maintain accurate records in the HRIS system;
- Oversee and maintain employee and general benefits documentation (SPDs, Summary of Coverages etc.);
- Ensure that eligibility adjustments are documented and submitted to the carriers and vendors in a timely manner;
- Utilize systems or benefits portal to process all benefits transactions where a documentation trail can be accessed;
- Oversee or lead project implementations (carrier changes, interfaces, regulatory changes, etc.);
- Supports configuration and maintenance of HRIS/benefits system as it relates to benefits administration;
- Oversight of data flow and integrations including carrier connections, payroll and/or process manual updates;
- Conduct periodic eligibility and plan audits;
- Assist with year-end reporting, plan testing, audits, project as assigned.
- Using various communication modes (benefits portal, town hall meetings, email etc.), proactively communicate key messages pertaining to employee benefits throughout the Plan year to increase employee interest and engagement;
- Create feedback loop and engage HR Business Partners as appropriate on benefits administration matters (e.g. processing FMLA, New Hire Changes, training of leaders on benefits related matters etc.);
- Proactively communicate with employees and retirees regarding health and welfare benefits and retirement policies and procedures, and establish new or strengthen the existing process for responding to employee questions;
- Oversee, and as necessary, conduct benefit orientation for new employees and ensure benefits’ information is up to date and communicated with the proper parties;
- Provide superior customer-centric service and advice to employees.
Process Management (20%)
- Conduct an initial end to end assessment of all benefits administration processes. Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefit processes;
- Evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce cost and increase efficiency;
- Have an ongoing initiative to monitor, educate and encourage colleagues to follow and maximize processes.
Ready to make an impact? In this role, you will support Brookings values of collegiality, respect, inclusion, diversity and community, and bring the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field or equivalent combination of education and related work experience and certification (SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, SPHR, CBP, CEBS or GBA) required;
Eight years of HR related experience; minimum of five years of benefits administration experience in positions of increasing levels of responsibility required. Strong aptitude for technology – HRMS experience, desired. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with solid Excel skills. Project and Time Management experience, a plus
Proven experience overseeing work of others.
This position requires a candidate who is excited about getting ‘hands-on’ with every aspect of employee benefits and displays the well-rounded skill set to do so; someone who can communicate with clarity to educate employees and colleagues, and is also detail-oriented with an eye for process improvement to ensure accurate enrollment, efficiency, and appropriate payment. Must be comfortable working independently and making decisions. Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Must be thoughtful, responsive, and sensitive in response to employees’ questions or concerns.
In-depth benefits administration knowledge. Experience with legal and compliance regulations, including: ERISA, HIPAA, FMLA, ACA, and COBRA. Capability to generate and analyze data to drive processes and systems. Superior employee service mindset. Possess the communication skills necessary to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Outstanding time management and project management skills to coordinate multiple complex tasks, projects and priorities simultaneously under deadline pressures. Possess a keen eye for detail and organizational skills. Must be comfortable working independently and making decisions. Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, technology and analytical skills. Must be thoughtful, responsive, and sensitive in response to employees’ questions or concerns.
Use discretion and good judgment in handling sensitive HR matters. Excellent employee service. Resolves problems responsibly, creatively and logically. Ability to generate and analyze data to develop reports and metrics to assess and improve processes and systems. Demonstrated ability to successfully perform in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities and deadlines. Ability t...