Engineering Manager, Subscriptions (The Atlantic)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
On the Subscriptions team, we aim to support a more thoughtful American public by building the subscription services to power great journalism. This includes enforcing resiliency, security and data integrity of registered users and subscription data, third party integrations of single sign-on, payment platforms, bulk subscription partners, and self-service tools for subscription and account management.
We pride ourselves on maintaining an inclusive and diverse culture that values continuous learning, elegant problem solving, supportive teamwork, and delivering value.
The Subscriptions Engineering Team:
Our stack includes: Python, ES6, and Docker, Stripe, PayPal, CDS and other third party integrations, as well as data consolidation pipelines.
Other tools we use: React, Django, a variety of AWS services including ECS, SQS, SNS, and Lambdas, Cypress, Github, and Terraform.
A Subscription Engineer’s typical day-to-day:
- Working within our established patterns for Python services and utilizing serverless and pub/sub patterns on AWS to build new subscription features.
- Partnering with Product, Design, Data Science, Audience Research, and other colleagues within our team and beyond, to collaboratively tackle difficult and ambiguous problems.
- Creating PoC’s, iterating quickly, and empowering our stakeholders to run experiments.
- Advocating for new technologies, patterns, and best practices as needed.
- Participating and contributing to stand-ups, sprint planning, and retrospectives at the agile team level and up.
- Performing code reviews with helpful and meaningful feedback for our teammates.
- Researching, documenting, noting trade-offs and recommending potential solutions around future product features.
- Encouraging and supporting the development of their teammates, including pair programming and knowledge sharing.
As an Engineering Manager supporting Subscriptions Engineers
Your responsibilities will include:
- Growing and nurturing the skills and careers of the engineers you support, while maintaining our exceptional, inclusive team culture.
- Goal-setting, regular 1:1s, end-of-year reviews, as well as recruiting for exceptional engineering talent.
- Onboarding yourself to our tech stack such that you can participate in technical discussions.
- Being a strategic partner to Product, Design, Data Science, Audience Research, and other colleagues within our team and beyond.Coaching and mentoring the engineers you support as they grapple with technical challenges, working relationships, and other organizational impediments.
- Being empathetic to our readers and having a desire to improve their experiences.
You’re well suited for this role if you:
- Have a strong proven track record that ideally includes 3+ years managing teams of 4+ engineers; e.g. You are well versed in the complexities and soft skills required in managing many engineers at once.
- Are experienced in managing a complex set of stakeholders.
- Are skilled at having difficult conversations when necessary.
- Are versed in end to end software development life cycles and Agile team processes.
The Atlantic Monthly Group LLC and its affiliates ("The Atlantic") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job offers to work at The Atlantic are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of reference checks and compliance with The Atlantic's COVID-19 vaccination policy. The Atlantic requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, including subsequent boosters, and submit proof of vaccination status. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
AddressNew York, NY
TechnologyView all jobs at The Atlantic