Nurse - SUD
- Posted: over a month ago
The ARK of DC Substance Abuse Nurse (RN) assumes responsibility and accountability for the application of the nursing process and the delivery of patient care. The Substance Abuse Nurse demonstrates ability to make clinical judgments in an effective and efficient manner with supervision.
- The substance abuse specialist nurse is responsible for providing direct nursing care to patients diagnosed with substance use disorder by utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. The substance abuse specialist nurse coordinates with the multi-disciplinary team, which includes all healthcare staff clinicians, correctional officers and ancillary staff. Also delivers education and the Opioid crisis.
- Provides guidance and education to consumers concerning overdose risk, smoking cessation, medication side effects and medication assisted therapies for substance use disorders.
- Provides direct clinical services (medication intakes, medication follow-up and supportive therapy);
- Aids psychiatry for medication, laboratory and commitment follow-up with clients, families and other agencies.
- Utilizes the nursing process to assess, plan, implement and evaluate consumer care in a psychiatric facility setting.
- Performs focused interview to identify specific consumer needs.
- Assess signs and symptoms indicating physiologic and psychosocial changes in the consumer’s condition.
- Collects, analyzes, and interprets data and information from health care members and documents actual and/or potential nursing diagnoses.
- Documents the consumer’s plan of care using identified nursing diagnoses, expected consumer outcomes, and selected nursing interventions.
- Identifies and prioritizes actions based upon consumer care requirements.
- Monitors consistency between consumer plan of care and actions of medical staff.
- Performs interventions according to identified priorities, plan of care, and the hospital policies and consumer care outcome standard.
- Provides a safe, comfortable and therapeutic consumer environment.
- Initiates and evaluates consumer and/or family education.
- Revises the plan of care according to evaluation, changes in medical plan of care, and effective/ineffective nursing interventions.
- Documents consumer’s response to nursing and other interventions.
- Uses clinical judgment in evaluation activities to meet consumer care needs of an assigned unit/floor including establishing priorities.
- Monitors the safety and effectiveness of the environment and equipment.
- Participates in activities to facilitate good interpersonal communications with the chosen facility.
- Supports professional practice by observing the following: Uses knowledge and practices in accordance with 1) the Nurse Practice Act; 2) Standards of Nursing Practice; 3) Standards of Consumer Care; 4) JCAHO, state and local laws; 5) Consumer’s Bill of Rights; and 6) Wellness Health Services, nursing and client policies.
- Other Psychiatric Registered Nurse (RN) duties as assigned
THE ARK OF DC FUNCTIONS
Attend Quality Assurance Meetings. Participate in mandatory staff development, including staff meetings and trainings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Registered Nurse Degree
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Social Work or Human Services and four years of experience in an alcohol or other drug or mental health setting preferred.
- Combination of comparable skills, experience, and education.
- Understanding and supportive of a trauma-informed system of care.
- Strong interpersonal, engagement, organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to support the organization’s mission and philosophy and demonstrate sensitivity to cultural diversity and organizational harmony.
- Value for and the ability to deliver excellent consumer services.
- Self-directed and flexible with the ability to meet the needs of the program and the consumers.
- Experience and confidence identifying and implementing evidence-based practices
- Experience working in crisis setting with individuals and families
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality
- Understanding of the Agency’s mission and culture and the ability to maintain appropriate boundaries with staff and clients in all circumstances
The Ark of DC
HealthcareView all jobs at The Ark of DC