For over fifty years, American Fence Company has been the fence contractor of choice for some of our nation’s most secure facilities to provide protection and peace of mind. Nuclear power plants, Strategic Air Command, Google, Microsoft and Apple all rely on us to provide security solutions. We have substantially grown our business on a solid foundation of great employees and customer relationships. With eight branches and three hundred employees, we are one of the Nation's top ten largest fence contractors.
American Fence Company is one of the leading gate access control providers in the United States. We install over five hundred access control systems every year. Our system installations range from complicated DOD crash rated barriers to the most basic slide gate operators with keypad entry. As today’s technology makes it easy to provide perimeter access control solutions, customers’ expectations in automating their gates is exponentially growing. The number of access control systems we install every year is trending off the charts. Even more importantly, customers are expecting easy and economical remote access and advanced security. Everyone was to control their gates from their iPhones.
With so many gate access control systems being installed, surprisingly this is an industry in its infancy. There are currently no full-time gate access control technicians in this market. American Fence Company has a reputation for being on the cusp of changes within our industry. Our predictions which bring about opportunities such as this are rarely misguided and typically spot on.
This position will be responsible for estimating, planning, coordinating and installing new automated access control systems. This position will also be responsible for evaluating and repairing existing access control systems.
1. Identify leads and prospects
a. Develop business leads through prospecting, referrals, networking, plan rooms, or through internal sources including incoming calls or internet inquiries.
b. Set up appointments and conduct off-site, in person meetings with prospective customers to identify and diagnose access control needs.
c. Build and maintain customer relationships, promoting and selling access control products and services during the installation process.
2. Estimate and supply a proposal for products as supplied by the Company to all interested parties for projects
a. Follow-up and secure the sale in accordance with the Company standards.
b. Prepare and execute proposals to assure that it is in accordance with the estimated intent and Company standards.
c. Provide all necessary submittal and product information as requested by the customer.
d. Request all materials to be ordered via Purchasing Agent or at branch level.
e. Timely review of the project with Company personnel in an effort to complete the project in accordance with project requirement and to avoid any damages.
f. Address and administer all project communications that include but are not limited to request for information, change orders, change in scope, and product data.
1. Take the lead in coordinating installations with sales and project management staff.
- The project check list will include an indication if project includes automated access controls.
- If project does include access controls, project manager will require access control lead to
- Access control lead will review EWS, list of components, scope of work and access
- control tech hours included.
- Access control lead will record information in independent worksheet for future
- Access control lead will provide a boiler plate submittal that demonstrates respective access control devices and required wiring for project. Access Control Lead will also include a sequence of operation for entry and egress of system.
- These submittals are to be provided to sales staff and submitted to owner or contractor.
2. Interpret plans and specifications relevant to new systems. Access control lead to review plans for
new system to be assured that proposed system is adequate and meets all project and safety
3. Prepare submittals that demonstrate access control equipment locations and necessary wiring.
Access control lead will provide a boiler plate submittal that demonstrates respective access
control devices and required wiring for project. Access Control Lead will also include a sequence
of operation for entry and egress of system.
4. Review purchase order for new equipment necessary to complete installation and execute relative
to what is included in EWS, what is required, meeting all safety conditions and customer
5. Coordinate installation of equipment installed by installation crews.
- Review with installation crew as to layout of and setting equipment, stands, posts, etc.
- Establish protocol as to how installation crew will pass-off balance of items to be installed.
6. Complete installation, low voltage connections, and programming of equipment.
- Complete installation of operator.
- Install all equipment that may include key pads, photo eyes, safety edges, etc.
- Install all loops as designated by contract documents.
- Complete all low voltage connections designated by contract documents.
- Program all equipment
- Test and certify that system is fully operational.
7. Review installation and programming with customer and to assure system is compliant with
Repair and Upgrade Existing Installations:
1. Maintain an inventory of frequently used components and incidental items.
- Inventory kept in secure location and accounted for by weekly cycle counts.
- Provide material sheet for any materials used in completing repair.
2. Review and diagnose current systems for repair and compliance.
3. Prepare and present proposal for repair and compliance to customers.
4. Order required equipment and track receiving.
5. Perform repair and bring systems into compliance.
6. Complete pre-invoice billing information and provide required documentation for submittal to
1. Attend educational and training activities as designated by company.
2. Participating in training new sales staff specific to access control installations.
1. Three to five years’ experience in diesel, automotive or general maintenance
2. Associates degree in mechanical, electrical or industrial maintenance preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may lift up to 75 lbs. on a regular basis. The
employee is required to read documents, signs, and signals, and is required to drive a commercial vehicle.
The employee is required to frequently stand, walk, climb, stoop, and kneeling while performing repairs
on vehicles and equipment.
In addition to a competitive wage, we offer an excellent benefits package, including:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Optional Life, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability
- 401K with a Company match
- Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays and Personal Days
Equal Opportunity Employer