- Posted: over a month ago
To provide reliable, safe and courteous transportation service to the individuals supported by The Arc. The VD provides a communication link between those individuals, families and staff. The VD operates the assigned vehicles(s) in accordance with all traffic and other applicable laws and regulations.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Operates assigned vehicle in a safe and courteous manner
· Maintains defensive driving.
· Assists passengers in and out of the vehicle; operates ramps, lifts and tie down devices as necessary.
· Reads and interprets maps and driving directions to plan the most efficient route service for the individuals receiving supports, and reads and interprets road signs in English.
· Keeps the assigned vehicle(s) clean inside and outside.
· Performs minor maintenance tasks on assigned vehicle(s) as required.
· Fuels the assigned vehicle(s).
· Responds immediately to accident or medical emergencies by notifying emergency response providers, and rendering First Aid until emergency personnel arrive.
· Provides support to consumers as needed.
Crisis Intervention Identifies crisis situations, evaluates or defuses the situation, and contacts necessary supports.
Continues to monitor crisis situations, discusses the incident with authorized staff and individual(s), adjusts supports and the environment, and complies with regulations for reporting.
Implements behavior plan(s) as necessary and as indicated in the plan.Documentation
- Maintains accurate records and submits records to appropriate sources in a timely fashion.
- Maintains standards of confidentiality and ethical practice.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date records on trip sheets, customer transportation forms, vehicle maintenance, fuel purchases, incident reports, accident reports, vehicle condition reports and other records that are requested from his/her supervisor.
- Complies with all agency guidelines, procedures and practices and assures that the passengers in the vehicle can ride in a smoke free, cell phone free and excessive noise free environment.
- Incorporates sensitivity to cultural, religious, racial, disability and gender issues into daily practices and interactions.
Education, Training & Self-Development
- Attends, completes and passes all required training, initially and ongoing.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Demonstrates appropriate role model behavior at all times.
- Attends and participates in staff and team meetings.
- Contributes to program evaluations by responding to surveys and interviews or participating in discussion groups.
- Accepts and employs the agency’s core values.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Graduation from accredited high school or GED.
· Three years of driving experience, CDL License preferred but not required.
· Adequate vision and hearing to supervise the passengers on the van and to recognize emergency vehicles and respond accordingly.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Possesses a proficiency in computer-based software, e.g., excel, word and access.
- Ability to drive a multi-passenger vehicle safely and appropriately, including ability to read and interpret road signs in English; ability to read, understand, and adhere to the rules and regulations of the Motor Vehicle Administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to establish effective professional relationships with passengers, families and co-workers
- Ability to prepare concise and accurate records and reports;
- Extensive knowledge of the operations and features of assigned vehicle(s);
- Ability to recognize vehicle maintenance needs;
- Ability to perform minor vehicle repairs;
- Skilled in reasoning skills to interpret policies and procedures, maps, and route directions; and ability to administer First Aid and CPR.
- Valid Maryland driver’s license and must pass a DOT physical.
- Possesses the ability to pass the criminal background check mandated by the State of Maryland.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS (PHYSICAL DEMANDS)
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; sit for long periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Specific hearing abilities required by the job include the ability to hear and respond to requests and disturbances in the van and to hear approaching emergency or police vehicles.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions while loading or unloading the van or while actually driving.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Pay Rate: $15.00 per hour
The ARC Of Southern Maryland
Transportation and StorageView all jobs at The ARC Of Southern Maryland