Transportation Manger is responsible for managing tank truck drivers and dispatchers, monitoring and confirming proper maintenance of all equipment, recommending equipment purchases and supplies. Maintaining DOT compliance, HazMat training, and transportation software.
In addition to exhibiting the Company motto of "We Care. You Matter. We Deliver!" this position requires the following core competencies:
1. Safety Focused
2. High Level of Integrity
3. Problem Solving Skills
4. Takes and Shows Initiative
5. Growth Oriented
6. Demonstrates a Sense of Urgency
7. Builds and Values Long Term Relationships
8. Fleet Management
Essential Job Duties and Functions
This position’s essential job duties and functions include the following and any other duties assigned by the supervisor:
· Evaluate and direct dispatch on where and what type of product will be purchased to optimize customer service and division profitability. Timely decisions must be made and executed properly.
· Evaluates and decides the amount of work to accept and/or not accept from outside customers to ensure a high level of customer service.
· Evaluates the distribution of work evenly to all drivers.
· Manages work load vs. available hours of service to ensure DOT compliance for drivers.
· Contacts non-inventory control customers to determine petroleum needs and to solicit additional product delivery.
· Assess all new customer locations for safety and accessibility.
· Continually work to improve process efficiency with software programs such as TMW, PeopleNet, and Profit 21.
· Serve as direct communication contact for employees, customers, and suppliers.
· Respond to customer orders, questions, complaints, and issues appropriately.
· Respond to employee questions, concerns, or issues.
· Conduct periodic and scheduled performance reviews with all drivers and personnel.
· Respond to supplier concerns on policies, rules, and product allocation as appropriate.
· Make decisions to execute orders, and give direction for mechanical failures and or truck & trailer maintenance and repairs.
· Maintain truck and trailer maintenance program ensuring all licenses and expirations are updated and the fleet is fully maintained.
· Make decisions, execute orders and give direction appropriately for accidents and/or incidents (product mixes or spills). Must be available to be on-site for any incident or accident.
· Evaluates and determines disciplinary actions as needed for drivers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Manages the entire Transportation Department including drivers and dispatchers.
This position generally works inside in an air conditioned environment but will often work outside or in a warehouse setting. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. May experience loud noise levels.
The physical demands of this position may require lifting or moving objects up to 50 pounds. Requires bending, climbing, kneeling, twisting, stooping and driving.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. However due to the nature of demands placed on the Transportation Department, Manager is required to be on call 24/7 to handle emergencies and problem solve.
Required to travel to sites for customer on-boarding, employee training, and incidents. Overnight travel is required on occasion.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED.
Five years or more of transportation CDL/HazMat bulk transport management experience
Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
Applicable Bachelor’s degree (business, logistics, etc.) from four year college or university.
Dispatch experience a plus.
Ten or more years of experience as terminal manager, fleet manager or related field.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Preferred Class A CDL with Haz-Mat and Tanker Endorsement
This position requires the use of computer software such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Profit 21, TMW and PeopleNet. Also required to perform data entry functions with consistent accuracy and speed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.