NOTE: Refer to Medical Assistant Scope of Practice addendum, attached.
Under direct supervision, and according to established policies and
procedures, performs a variety of medical procedures and tests to assist in
the examination and treatment of patients. Performs a variety of clerical
duties, as assigned.
1. Interview patient to obtain reason for visit to doctor and takesvital signs such as temperature, blood pressure, weight, etc.Documents patient's reason for visit along with vital signs inpatient's chart. Provides or drapes patient with appropriatecovering depending upon examination.
2. Prepares examination room by changing table paper, performingnecessary cleaning, laying out instruments and supplies, and thelike. Assists physician with patient examinations by helping tomove or position patient for procedure, handing instruments tophysician, etc.
3. May perform any of the following medical procedures: givingnon-intravenous injections, venipuncture, performing EKG's,assisting with stress tests, routine x-rays, PFT's, and otherrelated activities.
4. Performs a variety of routine laboratory tests and procedures suchas centrifuging blood, setting up slides for microscopicexamination, and performing tests (i.e., indicate sugar or Hgblevels in urine and blood samples etc.)
5. May provide instructions to patients as per physicianorder/protocol or reinforce physician instructions regardingmedicines, diets, post surgical care, advance preparations fortesting at hospital and how to conduct self-breast examinations.
6. Cleans and sterilizes instruments according to establishedprocedures.
7. Performs routine stock work such as shelving supplies, monitoringsupply levels and checking for outdated supplies. Initiatespaperwork to reorder supplies, as necessary.
8. May perform clerical duties such as scheduling appointments,receiving payments for services and posting to patient's account,filing and maintaining medical records.
9. Follows established policies and procedures to meet minimum lifesafety standards of JCAHO/OSHA. Actively participates in all safetytraining including but not limited to cardiopulmonary resuscitation(CPR) and annual safety training.
High school diploma or GED.
Graduation from a school of practical nursing, OR
Completion of one of the following:
Nurse Assistant Program or equivalent training.
Medical Assistant Program, or six months of experience in a
doctor-s office or related area performing Medical
Phlebotomy training program. Six months direct patient care
Medical Assistant certification preferred.
1. Interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively with
physicians, patients, and other office staff.
2. Technical knowledge of medical assisting procedures, and equipment
operation in order to perform assigned duties.
3. Visual acuity, including depth perception and manual dexterity to
operate equipment, document patient information, and in order to give
4. Ability to very frequently (51-80% of work time) stand and walk while
assisting with examination and treatment of patients; ability to reach,
bend and lift.
Job: Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Organization: DMC Receiving Hospital
Title: Medical Assistant FT Days General Medicine and Pediatric Clinic
Requisition ID: 1905037531