Under the supervision of a physician, assists as a first or second
assistant on major or minor operations. The role encompasses leadership,
partnership, collaboration, and integration of services throughout the
department of surgery. The Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA) demonstrates
and maintains a level of surgical competence and proficiency. Informs
Nursing staff and Physician Assistants about surgical techniques and
1. Reviews cases assigned; performs as first or second assistant to the
attending surgeon on major or minor operations, including but not limited
to positioning the patient for procedures, placement of tourniquets,
supports, and devices, preparing surgical site, draping the patient
maintaining a sterile field, inserting necessary tubes, drains, catheters,
packing, and ortho devices.
2. Prepares, selects and assembles necessary surgical equipment and
supplies as dictated by surgical procedure and the proposed surgical care
3. Attends department meetings and participates in perioperative education
programs as appropriate.
4. Maintains and/or enhances professional expertise through appropriate
educational and organizational activities.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Graduation from a certified surgical assistant program approved by the
Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) or the
National Surgical Assistant Association (NSAA). Bachelor's degree in
science, Nursing or a directly related field, preferred.
2. Certification as a Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA).
Two to three years of experience in surgery.
4. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
1. Manual dexterity and mechanical ability to assist surgeon in complex
2. Physical stamina for prolonged standing, walking, and lifting.
3. Analytical ability necessary to monitor and deliver appropriate response
to changes in patient condition, to monitor data lab reports, x-rays,
physical findings, etc. and, in consultation with the attending physician,
develop treatment plans.
Interpersonal skills necessary for eliciting medical and psychosocial
history, instructing patients and families, and maintaining productive
relationships with medical and Nursing staff.
Job: Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Organization: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Title: Certified Surgical Assistant FT Days Sinai Grace Hospital
Requisition ID: 2005003134