Executive Chef / Restaurant General Manager
Tempe Eats Tempe, AZ
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Searching for a delicious career? Love all kinds of food? Want to be a part of starting up a truly special food hall that we will all feel proud to be a part of? Look no further… Tempe Eats is looking to hire an Executive Chef / Restaurant Manager.
In this critical role, you will be involved in all aspects of Tempe Eats, from the construction phase to grand opening and beyond. Tempe Eats is a food hall expected to open in Q1 2022. It will have eight food stalls, three drinking places (full cocktail bar, self-pour beer wall, and wine bar), two patios, an app-thru (a drive-thru for prepaid mobile orders; no squawk box), and a walk-up pickup window.
· Startup Manager. Help support the project schedule. Do what it takes to resolve bottlenecks and expedite a successful grand opening. Research options on a wide range of startup purchases, from furniture / decor to quality used equipment to kitchen smallwares / barware, other odds and ends. Participate in the selection of key technology such as our POS system and where to use automated robots. Hype up our marketing promotions.
· Menu Development. Prepare new menu items for Owners’ taste test / approval. Design recipes with a focus on deliciousness, overlapping ingredients, food costs, repeatable cooking processes, training procedures. Responsible for quality, presentation and specifications of all food ordered including catering. Must have detailed knowledge of recipe costing, pricing, and recipe production.
· Supply Chain. Implement and monitor menu and inventory management system ensuring portion / cost control and loss prevention measures. This includes the bar as well. Purchase and maintain appropriate on-hand inventory levels.
· Hiring. Conduct face-to-face interviews and record answers using the interview questions provided. After their hire, you will check their new hire paperwork following the procedures laid out by HR.
· Team Training & Development. You will either personally provide training to new hires or delegate training using a Train-the-Trainer approach. Help clearly define the roles and responsibilities for each role and department. For each department, develop a Training Lead and training scripts. You, the Leads, or the Owners will also give proficiency tests that are relevant to the job. Responsible for coaching, documentation of training, competencies, and discipline. You will participate with the Owners in employee evaluations for pay increases and promotions.
· Lead by Example. The manager will also be very hands-on; able to be the perfect floater between the departments and able to think ahead and direct the team to get maximum results. This means the manager will be able to personally pass all of the proficiency tests for all departments, including tests for menu knowledge, customer service, cooking, sushi rolling, and advanced knife skills. The manager will also be a Certified Food Protection Manager who will ensure food safety and restaurant cleanliness by the whole team and that our health inspection grades will be A’s. Be high energy! We are fast, fun, and friendly! Able to exceed customer expectations, do table touches, and garner high reviews. Able to excite and motivate the team with your enthusiasm. Able to stay calm during stressful situations. Able to handle last minute requests. Willing and able to share learning and make others better.
· Follow the Processes. Follow the company policies, HR guidelines, timelines, and communicate up appropriately. Use the established procedures, systems, tools, and forms. Track inventories, orders, vendor invoices, employee hours and employee schedule changes (using our app), close out registers, and complete all required paperwork, adhering to timelines and proper procedures. Operate within the manager’s scope of authority and ask for approvals from the Owners for any exceptions. Be dedicated and trustworthy.
· Results Oriented. Help achieve the company’s goals for sales, food and beverage costs, payroll, order ticket times and order accuracy, team skills, and customer service ratings. Foster teamwork and an open feedback culture. Have a process improvement mindset. Propose and implement new ideas.
You are someone who has several years as a business-minded executive chef and then a multi-unit general manager. You’re familiar with a broad array of cuisines and beverages. You’ve been the startup manager of other restaurants from before they were open, involved in all aspects of menu planning, costing, hiring, and execution. You’ve got a proven track record of results; of making the restaurant and the team better. You firmly understand restaurant operations, food costing, and basic finance concepts. This is not an opportunity for someone that wants to come into work, then check-out and go home. The hours are long; scheduled for five to six days a week and that includes most Saturdays and Sundays. The hours sometimes get extended for events like catering orders or staff call-ins. You are someone who works with a sense of ownership even when you are not at the restaurant. You are excited about the prospect of building up a successful food hall and developing a great team that can back you up when you are not there.
- competitive salary
- quarterly bonuses
- gas and mobile phone allowance
- paid vacations and personal time off (PTO)
- a fun environment and family culture
- free meals and drinks while working (certain menu choices only)
To apply: Please respond to this ad and attach your resume.
Our website: tempeeats.com
Keywords: general manager, head chef, management, coach, lead a team, menu development, line cooking, prepping food, kitchen jobs, Back of House (BOH) jobs, hospitality jobs, Front of House (FOH) jobs, grand opening, restaurant startup
85 E Southern AveTempe, AZ
FoodView all jobs at Tempe Eats