Job Type: Contract
Job Length: 6 Months (Renewable)
Job ID: 1804
The person in this position will work as part of the Molecular, Expression and Screening Technologies (MEST) Group within CLIENTS rapidly expanding North America R&D Biologics Research organization.
The successful candidate will have both strong molecular biology skills and be adept at utilizing automation to assist with automated laboratory workflows (“Platformization”). This position will enable the ongoing automation efforts by assisting with the transition of manual workflows and processes onto a semi-automated/fully automated robotics platform and to further optimize the platform to meet increased demand. The large numbers of recombinant plasmids generated on the automated molecular biology platform will be used for expressing proteins/antibodies (including multi-specific protein therapeutics) on the established automated protein expression and purification (PEPP) system.
In addition to producing plasmids using the automated Molecular Biology Platform, this person will manage the generated plasmids by working with data management to register the samples in global databases (Genedata Biologics) and a global freezer tracking system (MOSAIC). Furthermore, the successful candidate will be involved with projects generating recombinant plasmids needed for antibody discovery, antibody engineering and protein production within Biologics Research.
This person must have strong molecular biology skills with the ability to understand and execute complex cloning strategies. The scientist in this position must have the ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems in which initiative and judgment are required; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of attention to detail; the ability to organize and present data, the ability to work in a collaborative team environment and to communicate effectively both within the immediate group and across groups.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Molecular biology skills including Gateway, InFusion and Gibson Assembly cloning technologies, knowledge in plasmid construct design (including antibodies), agarose gel electrophoresis, DNA purification, DNA sequencing and sequence analysis
• Knowledge of molecular biology software such as Sequencher, VectorNTI or SnapGene
• Experience with high throughput instrumentation including liquid handlers (Hamilton STAR) and DNA prep platforms (Qiagen or Phynexus). Experience with developing new methods for automation equipment desired.
• Possess excellent oral and written skills
• Experience with sample registration (MOSAIC), LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) and biological registration systems (example: Genedata Biologics)
BS or MS in biology or related field and 1-3 years of experience in a research laboratory or a biopharma/biotech company.