This position is responsible for the research of payer policies related to the coding and documentation of TeamHealth affiliated clinician records.
- Research payer manuals for rules and regulations
- Research current Team Health policies and procedures to ensure currency and accuracy
- Research and development of needed policies and procedures for emergency medicine, hospitalist programs, clinic medicine, anesthesia and other Team Health specialties as required
- Research state-specific payer and governmental requirements in respect of the documentation, coding and charging of TeamHealth affiliated clinician records by means of published material, internet sources and direct communication
- Maintain division-specific and payer specific informational resources
- Coding and documentation support for TeamHealth senior management
- Assist in the development of payer/carrier requirement database
- Participation in the gathering and collation of payer/carrier requirements through survey process on routine basis
- Make recommendations to Chief Medical Officer of Coding Policy on changes to current policy status
- Interfacing with division personnel on an as needed basis for physician education, affiliate policy development, affiliate marketing and public relations
- Act as resource for coding and documentation inquiries from HCFS, TeamHealth corporate or affiliate divisions in area of coding and provider documentation
- Review existing HCFS policies as applicable to coding and documentation.
- Assist Documentation Manager with duties as needed.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENT DEMANDS
The physical and environmental demands of this position are as follows:
- Job performed in a well-lighted, modern office setting
- Occasional standing/bending
- Occasional lifting/carrying (20 lbs or less)
- Rare travel locally and rare travel nationally with overnight stays away from home
- Mild stress
- Prolonged sitting
- Prolonged work on a PC/Computer
This position may require manual dexterity and/or frequent use of the computer, telephone, 10-key, calculator, office machines (copier, scanner, fax) and/or the ability to perform repetitive motions and/or meet production standards to comply with the essential functions. Also, may require physical and/or mental stamina to work overtime, additional hours beyond a regular schedule and/or more than five days per week.
The job qualifications for this position are as follows:
- College level preparation or diploma preferred
- CPC, CCS-P, RHIT, RHIA or equivalent
- Experience with coding of physician records, minimum two years
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Understanding of Medicare, Medicaid, commercial payers and CPT coding rules and regulations
- Knowledge and familiarity with CPT coding and ICD-10 coding
- PC skills including Word, Excel, Power Point and ability to utilize internet search resources
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to handle confidential data
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Willingness to participate in education programs to increase skill level as needed
- Willingness to travel on national basis with overnight stays away from home
Cooperative, positive, courteous and professional behavior and conduct is an essential function of every position. All employees must be able to work with others beyond giving and receiving instructions. This includes getting along with co-workers, peers and management without exhibiting behavior extremes. Job functions may require personal leadership skills such as conflict resolution, negotiating, instructing, persuading, speaking with others as well as responding appropriately to job performance feedback from the supervisor. Additionally, the information contained in this job description has been designated to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.