Associate Product Manager
(Comic Books and Trading Cards)
Hiring Immediately! Great opportunity to join a leading entertainment company that is head quartered in San Diego for someone with an extensive background in the comic book industry (expertise in Marvel 1961-Present) as well as a solid understanding of trading card industry.
As the Associate Product Manager, you will be a primary contributor in the conceptualization, development, and maintenance of the trading card product portfolios for entertainment -focused categories, with a specific focus on comic book-related licenses(for both publishing and cinematic endeavors). Interacting closely with the Director of Product Development, as well as other creative departments within the company and external parties, you will be centrally responsible for the creation of unique, innovative products in line with the Company’s overall sales and profit goals for wholesale, retail, direct, and hobby distribution channels. Responsible for the preparation and presentation of business and product strategies and financial costing reports, to ensure they simultaneously meet company and consumer expectations for both profits and content. Works in accordance with UDC Brand Manager regarding external licensing and business relationships for strategy and product approvals.
- Product Development: In conjunction with internal and external parties, plays a central role with the management of the development of products in line with the Company’s strategic initiatives; meeting legal, financial and design requirements and delivering consistent quality and safety standards. Responsible to closely monitor trading card industry trends to master the understanding of value drivers, including consistent communication with outside consultants. Works directly with Finance team to compose and edit financial costing documents. Responsible to draft and edit Strategic Brief documents for each product – providing great detail for the specific vision and themes for all subsets and cards. Provides initial direction on layout and art design.
- Product Determination and Selection: Assists in the development of categories and products commensurate with strategies specified in licensed product portfolio strategies and business plans. Assists in providing input on reliable and cost effective sources within established development process.
- Licensed Property Product Portfolio Management: Assists Product Manager in providing product portfolio management of licensed properties. Works with Executive Team, Sales, and Legal to support selection and evaluation of prospective hockey focused licenses. Conducts research for viable new hockey focused licenses as well as renewal of existing contracts. Anticipates, identifies, and capitalizes on hockey market industry trends.
- Collectibles Content Sourcing: Assists in market research and procurement efforts for vintage collectibles (typically, vintage comic books or wardrobe relics) to be used as elements within select trading card lines.
- Quality Control/Ethics: Assists in the determination and communication of product quality standards. Monitors quality and manufacturing standards, ensuring adherence to Code of Conduct. Works closely with Operations to minimize manufacturing errors and delivery slippage.
- Marketing, Advertising, Promotion, and Solicitation Activity: Provides input into Marketing/Advertising/PR campaigns in line with corporate strategies and initiatives or other activities as designated. Attends regional Sales and Distributor meetings and Trade Shows to communicate product plans and strategies. Manages the development of the catalogs and solicitation materials.
- Systems and Administration: Monitors cost of goods and inventory levels for collectibles content and raw materials. Review all sku’s on a planned schedule, works closely with Finance when new orders are due to prepare preliminary data and review profit and loss statements.
- Communication: Responsible for keeping the Company up-to-date with ranging developments. Liaison with other departments. Recommends, communicates, and coordinates launch strategies and calendars, license acquisitions, product promotions, sales, etc.
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in Marketing, Product Development and Design or a closely related field or equivalent experience.
- 5-10+ years of experience in collecting/reading comic books, with emphasis on Marvel books from 1961-present day. Expert level knowledge of characters, creators and secondary market values is critically essential.
- 5-10+ years of experience in collecting entertainment or sports trading cards strongly preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with a keen attention to detail.
- Superior interpersonal, leadership, negotiating, consulting, presentation, analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong background in the management of direct and departmental reports and internal/external teams.
- Ability to interface with internal and external parties.
- Professional demeanor; team player orientation.
- Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision while exercising discretion and independent judgment.
- Hands on, energetic and motivated self-starter.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally on behalf of the Company
- Proficiency in the following software or systems: MS Office (advanced expertise with Excel)
*Please Submit your resume for consideration