Developer, IT Applications
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Senior Programmer, IT Applications – Level 4
Note for dual leveled jobs only: Factors that determine level include 1) Level of education and/or equivalent, relevant experience, 2) Proficiency, 3) Ability to work independently and/or amount of direction needed, 4) Scope and complexity of work, 5) Level of authority and latitude in making decisions
Section 1 - Overview
*** is a commercial airline providing passenger and cargo transportation throughout North America, Central America, South America, the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia. The following describes the essential job functions, job qualifications, traditional physical demands and other requirements of the job. While not an exhaustive description, it is intended to accurately reflect the current job. Management will modify the job or require other tasks be performed whenever it deems it appropriate to do so, observing, of course, any legal obligations including any collective bargaining obligations. Management will consider providing reasonable accommodations as necessary to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act or other applicable federal, state or local laws. Reasonable accommodations that facilitate successful performance of all essential job functions will not impact an individual’s paygrade or level.
This job is a member of the Information Technology Team, within the Information Technology Division.
Section 2 - General Job Description
The Principal Programmer/Technical Lead will provide technical leadership for assigned IT development personnel and be responsible for the technical design and implementation of mid-range software development of the assigned web services and/or applications. Key aspects which will differentiate this role are: possessing working knowledge of latest industry best practices and trends within data frameworks and management (e.g. SQL/non-SQL, In-memory Cache, SSD); cloud frameworks, content delivery network design, web services design, rules engine design, and software optimization techniques.
This position will work with product management, business analysts, developers, testers and architectural teams to define strategy and requirements, develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, identifying and securing commitment from external and internal teams for new initiatives, driving consensus on the technical approach, setting timelines, and leading cross-functional crew application teams from design through delivery.
Section 3 - Job Qualifications
Minimum Qualifications - Education & Prior Job Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Technology, Information Systems (CIS/MIS), Engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience/training
• 6 – 8 years of proven experience delivering enterprise software solutions as part of a team
• Ability to influence others through outstanding interpersonal skills, collaboration, and negotiation skills
• Ability to explain technical concepts and adjust message based on the audience, including non-technical groups
• Self-starter, motivates others to do the same
• Proficiency in coordinating across multiple teams to accomplish goals
• 6 years of Java development in a service-oriented architecture
• 3 years Application Programming Interface (API) framework / REST development
• 3 years in web services (mid-range) development
Preferred Qualifications – Education & Prior Job Experience
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Technology, Information Systems (CIS/MIS), Engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience/training
• Experience delivering software to cloud environments – Azure, IBM Cloud, AWS, Google
• Working knowledge of stream processing – Kafka, Spark
• Deep knowledge of DevOps concepts
• Experience with enterprise software security – PCI, PII
• Mobile application development – Java/Android, React Native, iOS
• 2 years technical leadership of IT personnel
• Airline experience a plus
Skills, Licenses & Certifications
• Experience in Continuous Delivery/Continuous Integration (Jenkins, GitHub Actions, Nexus, TDD, Automated regression testing)
• Experience with hw/sw resource management, cloud framework implementation, micro-services, and Apache frameworks
• Experience in service optimizations for performance
• Ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, to be delivered in a successful and timely manner
• Demonstrated experience leading large scale initiatives, and well-rounded technical background in current data management technologies
• Proficiency and demonstrated experience in the following technologies:
o Java / JVM based technologies
o Data storage – SQL and/or NoSQL databases, ORM, caches
o Messaging – pub/sub, p2p
o Server-side web technologies - HTTP based services (SOAP/REST)
o Automated build/test/deployment tools
• Working Knowledge in the following areas:
o Full stack development
o Terraform scripting
o Infrastructure technologies - firewalls, NAT, load balancing
o Cloud design/architecture – microservices, SPA, BFF
Language & Communication Skills
• Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written with all levels within the organization
• Ability to explain technical concepts and adjust messaging based on the audience, including non-technical groups
Physical ability necessary to safely and successfully perform the essential functions of the position, with or without any legally required reasonably accommodations that do not pose an undue hardship. Note: If the Company has reason to question an employee’s physical ability to safely and/or successfully perform the position’s essential job functions, the HR team generally will engage in an interactive process to determine whether a reasonable accommodation is appropriate. HR (working with the operation) ordinarily first speaks with the employee directly and they mutually identify the physical demands of the job that are or may be impacted by the employee’s obvious or known condition. Then, if necessary, HR would request medical documentation from the employee’s treating physician or others to confirm the employee’s ability to perform those essential job functions safely and successfully.
Section 4 - Essential Job Functions
As noted above, this list is intended to accurately reflect the current job but there may be additional essential (and certainly non-essential job functions) that are not referenced. Management will modify the job or require other tasks be performed whenever it deems it appropriate to do so, observing, of course, any legal obligations including any collective bargaining obligations.
Essential Job Functions:
• Works with product management, developers and architectural teams to define strategy and requirements
• Develops and drives high-level strategic initiatives and secures commitment from external and internal teams for new initiatives
• Drives consensus on technical approach, sets timelines, and leads cross-functional application teams from design through delivery
• Applies software engineering best industry practices to web applications and services
• Provides technical guidance, direction, and decisions to team developing custom and off-the-shelf web applications and services
• Works with Application/Enterprise Architects to establish development and deployment standards, and ensures adherence to technology platform decisions
• Mentors and grows junior members of the team
Get fresh Programmer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.