TalentRemedy is seeking an energetic, passionate, and highly skilled individual to serve as a Program Coordinator for a growing College Access Program in Montgomery County, MD. Each Program Coordinator will work closely with the Program Director to deliver student services and ensure daily operations of college access program, which guides students and parents through the college search, application, standardized test preparation, financial aid, and transition to college processes. The Program Coordinator will report directly to the respective location’s Program Director.
Our mission is to change the lives of low-income students in the Montgomery County Public School (MCPS) system by helping them get into college, and succeed once they get there, with college admissions counseling, financial aid advising, and college success advising.
Every low-income student in Montgomery County should have the chance to go to college—with the guidance and support they need to get admitted, enroll, graduate and get on a pathway to a career. Our vision is to expand to more high schools to deliver our services to the many more students who need them.
The Access Program focuses on admissions and financial aid advising, expands awareness of college and career options, identifies colleges that fit each student, uses a “Milestones to College” student workbook to take students through the critical milestones of the college admissions process, advises on college decisions, engages parents, provides hands-on help with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and other scholarship applications, and helps analyze financial aid packages to find enough financial aid to ensure students will not be saddled with burdensome debt.
The Program Coordinator will help the Program Director manage the day-to-day operations of the college access program, which guides students and parents through the college search, application, standardized test preparation, financial aid, and transition to college processes. The Program Coordinator will report directly to the Program Director.
Each team works collaboratively within the high school to guide students and families through the following ten (10) milestones:
1. Planning a Higher Education & Career Pathway
2. Preparing for Standardized Tests
3. Creating a College List
4. Submitting College Applications
5. Applying for Financial Aid
6. Applying for Scholarships
7. Deciding Which College to Attend
8. Enrolling in College
9. Selective College Options
10. The College Application Process for Families
· Provide college and career advising to students and families about the college admissions and financial aid process in a fast and complex nonprofit environment with multiple competing priorities
· Recruit students into the program with the goal of active and continuous engagement
· Coordinate and conduct workshops on key steps (“Milestones”) in the college application process and track individual student’s attendance and progress
· Utilize computer and web-based tools (Excel, Salesforce, etc) to provide efficient individualized and group advising to students in an organized and detail-oriented manner
· Coordinate standardized test preparation and registration for students (SAT and ACT, TOEFL, Accuplacer, etc.)
· Assist in training, supporting, and/or managing College Access& Test Prep volunteers
· Identify and help students apply for local and national scholarships
· Maintain knowledge about colleges, scholarship opportunities, and local programs that best serve our student population
· Utilize various popular social media platforms (e.g. Snapchat, Twitter etc.) and survey and marketing software (Survey Gizmo, Constant Contact, etc.) for effective student outreach and program engagement
Data Collection & Analysis
· Assist Program Director in accurately recording data through an online Salesforce database platform and effectively use student folders to track program activities and student outcomes
· Analyze and use data to help determine next steps for individual students and for the program
· Deliver regular programmatic reports on test prep, student progress, and concerns at monthly meetings and as needed
Internal Program Collaboration
· Nurture collaborative relationships with staff and volunteers
· Work in concert with other teams to update tools, develop strategies, and create solutions to meet student needs
· Collaborate with team to successfully identify, recruit, and transition high school seniors to the Success Program
External Partner Collaboration
· Serve as a champion with a wide range of audiences and communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) with these audiences
· Support Program Director in developing relationships with high school administrators, counselors, teachers, and staff; community partners; and college admissions and financial aid staff, university administrators, and campus departments to increase opportunities and support services for student population.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in education, counseling, social work, psychology or a related field (Master’s degree preferred)
- Prior work experience (3+ years preferred) with students in high schools, college access, college admissions, higher education (certificate, 2-year, or 4-year programs), youth development, teaching and/or counseling, or college retention programs
- Understands and values racial equity as an organizational operating principle and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Working knowledge of college admissions, higher education (certificate, 2-year, or 4-year programs), college retention, and/or public school systems
- Work experience in multicultural and multilingual student and family environments
- Proven interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Proven problem-solving, decision-making, and program coordination skills
- Must be extremely organized and detail oriented
- Sense of humor
- Passionate about equal access to higher education
- Willing to advocate relentlessly on behalf of our students
- Access to reliable transportation and smart phone required
- Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable