As the Lead Controls Engineer, you are responsible for controls engineering of the battery energy storage systems (BESS) fleet. In this role, you are an active, hands-on leader of hardware and software control implementation, including PLC programming, HMI/SCADA development, control panel design and fabrication, instrumentation specification, commissioning, site communication and field service of BESS control systems. You lead a team of developers and engineers, directing day-to-day activities, and work closely with the NOC and engineering teams to safely and securely provide monitoring and control for a wide variety of power systems and equipment. Your experience in commissioning, testing, documenting and supporting large-scale power systems is critical part of the long-term success of the BESS fleet.
- Lead the design, detail and implementation of principal control system and control philosophy for grid-scale battery energy storage systems (BESS)
- Manage control systems team activities in day-to-day practice and ensure alignment with company priorities
- Develop control system architecture and document in schematic diagrams and systems documentation detailing configurations, wiring, and panel layouts
- Program BESS controllers, visualization and process systems (HMI/SCADA), databases and the archival and display of historical system data
- Participate in commissioning, testing, troubleshooting and support for BESS plant operation remotely and on-site
- Assist with design of network and communications architecture for BESS control across diverse protocols and regionally disparate market rules and practices
- Provide and present regular status updates on the projects, priorities and operations of the controls team and systems to company stakeholders
- Participate as a control engineer in the operation of BESS plants, including operational procedures, safeguards and security
- Provide provisional electrical and network engineering on demand, such as control panel design and fabrication
- Provide support for special projects and other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- BA/BS degree in electrical (preferred) or mechanical engineering; related fields and combination of experience and education considered
- Demonstrated ability in leadership capacity of teams in successful electrical control system projects; BESS experience strongly preferred
- 10+ years control systems development, programming and integration; specific experience in SCADA (Ignition preferred, Wonderware desirable)
- 5+ years experience in North American power markets and utilities
- Extensive experience in PLC programming (Allen Bradley preferred) and PIDs control
- Proficient in SQL and relational databases; Python or C# experience desired
- Strong understanding of mechanical and electrical equipment and its control using industrial communication and telemetry protocols
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English at a level which will permit the employee to accurately understand and communicate information to safely and efficiently perform job duties.
- This position requires 25% travel or as-needed per project.
Why Work Here?Talent Group is a global leader in IT staffing solutions. We connect great companies with great people.
Got Talent? Let's Get To Work.