Human Resources Manager
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Human Resources Manager
King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, is currently seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our Washington, DC office. This individual will provide HR support to all personnel in the Washington, DC, McLean, VA, and Charlotte, NC offices. This role offers the opportunity for a motivated individual to join an innovative and collaborative team focused on providing the highest quality of services. The HR Manager will report to the Associate Director of Human Resources and will be supported by the HR Coordinator.
The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program including health and wellness plans, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, a profit-sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Work closely with and provide assistance to the Associate Director of HR in a wide variety of areas including recruitment, onboarding, employee relations, benefits administration support and office programming.
- Ensure confidentiality of all Human Resources issues as well as individual employee and Firm matters.
- Manage and mentor the HR Coordinator
- Coordinate HR functions in the absence of the Associate Director.
- Assist with employee file maintenance and general department record keeping.
- Assist the Associate Director and WDC office Director of Administration with other ad hoc projects and tasks as needed.
- Work with the Associate Director on all matters related to new hire onboarding, ranging from scheduling and hosting orientation sessions to reviewing and retaining new hire paperwork.
- Assist with maintenance of confidential employee personnel records and update employee information in the firm’s HRIS (Workday) as needed.
- Coordinate with other Business Services functions (IT, Legal Support Services, Professional Development, etc.) on logistics related to new employee arrivals.
- Check in with new hires to ensure a smooth and successful onboarding process; assist with issues and questions as they arise.
- Participate in the full lifecycle of recruitment for Business Services positions, including:
- working closely with the hiring manager(s) throughout the process; and
- utilizing the applicant tracking system (Jobvite) to post jobs, communicate with candidates, and track applicant status updates;
- evaluating applicant resumes, conducting phone screens and coordinating interviews;
- drafting offer letters for approval and distribution.
- Coordinate conflicts, reference, and background checks as part of the onboarding/pre-hire credentialing process for direct hire positions, as well as temporary project attorney staffing efforts.
- Respond discretely, promptly, and accurately to day-to-day employee questions based on firm policies and practices; escalate questions and issues as appropriate (locally and firm-wide).
- Assist with preliminary employee relations investigations of conflicts or difficulties encountered by departments and/or personnel affecting employer-employee relationships.
- Promptly and accurately file documentation and communications related to employee relations issues.
- Answer general employee benefits questions; escalate high-level inquiries to the Benefits Department as necessary.
- Assist in tracking all employee leave benefits in conjunction with the firm’s Leave Manager; communicate and coordinate with employees on leave benefits as necessary.
- Liaise with employees and the Benefits team on workplace accommodations and worker’s compensation claims.
- Prepare departure paperwork and checklists; file completed paperwork as necessary
- Schedule and coordinate exit interviews for departing personnel.
- Alert relevant parties of upcoming departures; coordinate with appropriate Business Services teams on logistics related to departures
Events, Programming & Office Administration
- Assist with organizing and executing various office-wide programming, including, but not limited to: Staff Appreciation Week; the annual Health Fair; the annual Flu Shot Clinic; Services Awards and Medallion Club Luncheons, retirement receptions, and other employee engagement-focused efforts; photograph and save pictures of the events and assist with drafting the Kingpen (firm-wide newsletter) articles for submission.
- Coordinate with HR team members in other offices on firm-wide social initiatives as well as with Community Affairs on firm-wide philanthropic programming.
- Work closely with the Associate Director of HR and the WDC office Director of Administration on office-wide communications
- Review and approve weekly time for the HR Coordinator and WDC office Administrative Specialist.
- Conduct performance reviews for the HR Coordinator and Administrative Specialist.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to the HR Coordinator as well as other junior staff in the HR Department at large.
- Verify employment information for current and former employees; coordinate directly with Payroll as needed.
- Assist with immigration matters including maintaining immigration files and tracking visa expiration dates.
- Execute on temporary document review staffing projects as needed.
- Track new and existing attorney credentials (bar memberships); maintain spreadsheets related to this tracking; alert Associate Director when lapses in active bar membership are noted.
Successful candidates must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills (both written and oral). Candidates must have the ability to multitask and demonstrate superior prioritization skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure in the team’s fast-paced environment, while maintaining good perspective on the larger picture. Candidates must exercise discretion and good judgment daily, particularly when handling confidential and/or sensitive employee information. Candidates must be able to work with a high degree of independence and must have the ability to work in the evenings and/or on weekends when necessary.
Candidates are required to have a bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of prior HR experience in a law firm or similar environment. Previous experience in recruitment and/or employee onboarding strongly preferred. Employee relations experience a plus.
We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2200 lawyers and business professionals in 22 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.
Talent Connections, LLC is a leading professional services firm recognized both locally and nationally as leaders in the Human Resources profession and making connections for professionals for over 23 years. We specialize in recruitment services - including HR/Executive Search, contract recruiting, recruitment process outsourcing (RPO) and Talent Acquisition consulting. Talent Connections has been honored by being recognized two years in a row on the prestigious Inc. 500 list of the fastest growing privately held companies in the U.S. Talent Connections is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Please visit us at www.talentconnections.net.
1700 Pennsylvania AvenueWashington, DC