Principal Software Engineer, Code Architecture
Location(s): Seattle, WA or Kirkland, WA
Tableau Software is a company on a mission. We help people see and understand their data. After a highly successful IPO in 2013, Tableau has become a market-defining company in the business intelligence industry. But don't take our word for it-read what analysts like BARC and Gartner have to say about us. (Spoiler: You'll find terms like "Leader" and "#1.")
Tens of thousands of companies and organizations have chosen Tableau. From the executive suites of Fortune 500 companies to the jungles of Central America, from immunology research labs to high school robotics club meetings, our software can be found anywhere people have data and questions. Additionally, journalists, bloggers, and major media web sites have embraced our free product, Tableau Public, for its ability to help them share data online in the form of interactive visualizations. Check out all of our products at: www.tableau.com/product-tour at http://www.tableausoftware.com/product-tour .
Tableau's culture is casual and high-energy. We are passionate about our product and our mission and we are loyal to each other and our company. We value work/life balance, efficiency, simplicity, freakishly friendly customer service, and making a difference in the world. Tableau offers exceptional professional and financial growth potential.
To learn more about Tableau's mission, please visit: http://mission.tableau.com at http://mission.tableausoftware.com.
What you'll be doing...
This position will be the principal technical advisor for internal code refactoring and re-architecting efforts at Tableau, as well as being the technical champion for overall code quality. These efforts are designed to ensure Tableau's code base is modular, testable, high quality, highly reliable, and highly performant. The role will follow the rhythm of releases but will not necessarily be associated with any specific one. The Principal Software Engineer will know the state of design decisions and implications of most areas of the product with regard to refactoring and modularization efforts while engaging with many individuals and key stakeholders on the Development team to ensure that the technical work to improve the code is appropriately allocated to feature teams. The Principal Software Engineer will report findings and analysis to the Development Executive team and be prepared to discuss recommendations and suggestions.
Some of the things you'll be doing include...
- Read technical, functional specifications, and documentation from various feature teams
- Use daily builds, testing cross area and cross feature scenarios
- Ask questions and discuss with technical leads and managers with expectation of driving to solutions with them
- Participate as the technical lead for refactoring and modularization architecture efforts
- Participate as a member of the Virtual Architecture Team
- Report and advise senior leadership on specific issues uncovered and ideas of solutions
- When making recommendations, you will need to consider multiple proposals (from small tactical solution, to long term ideal solution, to intermediate practical one)
- Provide documentation, guidance, and support to feature teams and other technical team members on code architecture best practices and target architectures
- Provide regular updates to the Tableau Executive Team
- Other duties as assigned.
- 15+ years' experience in the software industry
- 15+ years of demonstrated experience analyzing software architecture to drive technical design solutions
- Experience with software design and lifecycle
- Proven success with leading large scale code re-architecture and quality efforts
- Experience using or building Business Intelligence software is a plus
- Ability to drill deep on technical implementation. Coding experience is required.
- Extensive C++ experience required.
- Domain. Proven success with leading large scale code re-architecture and quality efforts
- Highly-Technical. Ability to drill deep on technical implementation. Coding experience is required.
- Educated. BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent, advanced degree preferred
- You are a recruiter! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!