Legal Counsel - Insurance Industry
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
6 Month Contract Role (Covering maternity leave)
Department: General Law
Job Category: Counsel
This role will serve as legal counsel to management on corporate issues related to business functions and employees. Provides legal advice and prepares and reviews contracts and other legal documents. Specializes in one or more of the following areas of legal expertise: contracts, intellectual property, litigation, insurance, employment, real estate, ERISA, benefits, software licensing, workers compensation, corporate governance, privacy, sales and secured transactions and mergers and acquisitions. Performs under moderate supervision.
- Provides advice and counsel on legal issues impacting the Company's operations and business.
- Researches, analyzes and advises on proposed and existing legislation and regulations for impact on the Company and its customers/employees.
- Consults with outside counsel within area of responsibility in a cost-effective manner.
- Drafts, reviews, advises and negotiates contracts, policies, procedures and other legal documents.
- Monitors outside counsel representing company in litigation including planning and discussing strategy, reviewing drafts of pleadings and other legal documents.
- Negotiates directly with third party claimants to resolve disputes without litigation.
- Handles administrative proceedings before state and/or federal agencies.
- Interacts with federal and state regulators. Responds to customer/employee complaints.
- Participates in cross-divisional and enterprise projects. Interacts and influences business to help drive business results.
- Directs and oversees the work legal secretaries and paralegals. Performs special projects (substantive, administrative and practice management) for the legal department.
- Develops and/or conducts training programs for supervisors, managers and/or employees.
Education and Skills
- BA/BS - Bachelor's degree in related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience Advanced degree in related area.
- J.D. from accredited university Certification(s) and/or licensure(s) in functional area.
- California State Bar license in good standing
- 5+ years’ experience advising clients in a law firm or an in-house law department
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Compliance
- Familiarity with current law and issues within area of specialty
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in an organized, effective and timely manner Computer skills, MS Office, online research tools such as WESTLAW.
- Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner
Please submit your resume in PDF or Word format to be considered