The Museum Collections Inventory Specialist will work with our client to conduct a standard physical inventory of the museum’s collection in designated storage and exhibit areas. Inventory work will be completed according to the following priorities: 1. Artifacts – 4,100 objects • Collections Storage Area • Engine Storage Shed • Visitor Center Exhibit Galleries and Exterior Exhibit Areas 2. Manuscript Materials – 1,200 cubic feet • Collections Storage Clean Room • Collections Storage Area 3. Research Library – 4,000 volumes • Collections Storage Area
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in History, Public History, Museum Studies, Library and Information Sciences (specialization in Archives or Special Collections management) or closely related field with one (1) year of professional collections management experience.
· Experience working with manuscript materials, including photography, manuscripts, film, maps, newspapers, ephemera and books.
· Knowledge of current professional standards and ethics of collections management.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Experience using web-based collections management software.
· Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
· Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and penmanship.
· Experience using a digital camera.
· Ability to retrieve objects from heights up to 12 feet.
· Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds.
· Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, including working well with site staff, interns and volunteers in a team situation to complete inventory work.
· Self-motivation and capability of working without direct supervision.
· Resourcefulness, good judgment and a passion for problem-solving.
· Commitment to an inclusive and diverse environment.
· Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public History, Museum Studies, Library and Information Sciences (specialization in Archives or Special Collections management) or closely related field with one (1) year of professional collections management experience.
· A specialization in U.S. Industrial History from 1800-present and familiarity with the history of the petroleum industry.
· Experience working with industrial and technological collections.
· Demonstrated experience conducting museum collections inventory projects, preferably employing a modern collections management software.
· Experience using the ARGUS collections management system.
· Knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and techniques used in the care, cataloging, handling, preservation, and restoration of artifacts and manuscript materials
· The ability to recognize problems with historical collections such as mold, rot and insect and rodent damage.
The candidate will work 37.5 hours per week Sunday-Thursday @ location near Titusville PA for a 1-year contract
The maximum salary for this position $38,000 per year