Environmental Restoration Ecologist ( Biologist or Scientist )
TJG Group Environmental + Engineering + Construction Services Oakland, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: vision, 401k, dental, life insurance, medical
Environmental Restoration Ecologist / Scientist (Environmental Hydrology and Design Team)
Northern California office locations in Oakland, San Francisco, Petaluma, Sacramento, or San Jose
Position: Environmental Restoration Ecologist / Scientist
Location: Can work out of any one of our Northern California office locations in Oakland, San Francisco, Petaluma, Sacramento, or San Jose
Thriving environmental consulting firm specializing in the planning, design, mitigation, and restoration for projects across our communities, infrastructure systems, open spaces, and wildlands; actively seeks Environmental Restoration Ecologist / Scientist to join any one of our Northern California office locations in Oakland, San Francisco, Petaluma, Sacramento, or San Jose.
Our Environmental Hydrology and Design practice specializes in habitat restoration and multi-benefit flood management from watershed headwaters to the sea. We strive to apply the latest scientific understanding and practical technical tools to develop project solutions that integrate ecological function and solid engineering design to deliver multiple benefits.
Our team of engineers, geomorphologists, landscape architects, biologists, and restoration ecologists works collaboratively to deliver projects for our clients. We value creative thinking, teamwork, and multi-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary engagement and integration. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
Environmental Restoration Ecologist / Scientist Qualifications:
* Bachelor’s or (preferably) Master’s degree in Biology or a related ecological field and have a minimum of 5 years of professional experience.
* Must enjoy field work and are able to walk long distances carrying a backpack, safely operate, load and transport equipment and gear, and cross fences, creeks, and other obstacles.
* Technical expert in restoration ecology who is familiar with California’s diverse native habitats, especially the wetlands and riparian habitats of Northern California. Have experience translating the habitat needs of various species into design parameters for restoration projects, including direct experience producing native habitat restoration design documents.
* Have a working knowledge of environmental science and permitting principals, practices and procedures, and have served as the primary author on a variety of environmental documents such as biological resources reports, opportunities and constraints analyses, conceptual design and ecological basis of design reports, restoration plans, monitoring & adaptive management plans, and post construction monitoring reports. Ability to prepare documents that are clear, concise, well-written and supported and are skilled at presenting complex information to clients, agency staff, teaming partners, other project stakeholders and the general public.
* Well-rounded, self-directed, organized, and comfortable managing multiple responsibilities and deadlines concurrently. Effective communicator who works collaboratively with clients and interdisciplinary project teams to deliver work products on time and within budget. Have experience developing and tracking scopes of work, schedules, and budgets.
Environmental Restoration Ecologist / Scientist Role and Responsibilities:
As a mid- level Restoration Ecologist you will use judgment and critical thinking to select, apply and adapt standard techniques, methods, and procedures for a range of restoration design projects and biological studies. You will serve as a Restoration Ecology technical specialist, peer review the work of others and provide supervision to more junior team members.
You will collaborate with scientists, engineers, landscape architects and other specialists to develop habitat restoration approaches and designs. You will serve as a primary author of environmental documents potentially including technical memoranda, biological assessments/evaluations, scientific discipline reports, and resource-related permit applications. You may perform and sometimes lead biological field studies such as native flora and fauna surveys including rare plant surveys, vegetation classification and habitat mapping, nesting bird surveys, wetland delineations and endangered species documentation. While conducting construction site monitoring, you may work in close proximity to heavy equipment.
As a Deputy Project Manager or Project Manager, you will oversee the completion of specific project tasks including coordinating the project delivery schedule, handling project logistics, disseminating, and maintaining project related information, serve as the point person for team member or client questions and deliver project assignments on time and within budget.
OUR FIRM AT A GLANCE:
Highly respected 100% employee-owned environmental planning and design consulting services firm committed to the principles of sustainability, effective problem-solving and helping our clients confront today's challenges in project planning and environmental compliance. Ranked one of the Best Environmental Firms to Work For, our skilled managers, scientists, planners, and engineers provide the kind of critical thinking, objectivity, dedication, and responsiveness that is essential to a sustainable future, good environmental stewardship and to successful project completion in an increasingly sophisticated regulatory and community interest context.
We have been in business for over 50 years and have over 400 employees within our 20+ office locations.
Our Services Include:
Climate Change & Resilience
Cultural & Historic Resources
Environmental Permitting & Compliance
Environmental Review & Documentation
Flood & Stormwater Management
Our Project Types Include:
Conservation & Restoration
Ports & Harbors
Reasons to consider joining our firm:
Joining our firm means becoming part of a close-knit team of environmental professionals knowing that you have contributed to outstanding projects, improved environmental stewardship, and advanced a more sustainable and resilient future for our communities and wild places.
We spend our days helping to keep the environment in balance, and we want to help keep your life in balance, too by providing medical, dental & vision insurance (paid at 70% for you AND your family), a 401(k) plan with company match, a performance bonus program, an employee stock ownership program, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays to name a few.
At every stage in your career, we provide opportunities for continued growth, development, and recognition. Whether you want to further your technical expertise, sharpen your business acumen, or help lead the next generation of employee-owners, we want to support you in reaching your career goals. We believe these efforts will not only benefit you, but all firm colleagues and clients. Specific programs include Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development Bonuses, and attendance at Conferences.
HOW TO APPLY:
For immediate and entirely confidential employment consideration please click the (APPLY NOW) link to email a detailed copy of your resume. You will be contacted promptly by our Environmental Division Lead for next step hiring consideration.
Industry related terms: environmental ecologist, environmental ecology, environmental scientist, environmental science, restoration, plan, design, planning, mitigate, restore, habitat, wetlands, riparian habitats, species, habitat restoration, permitting, biological resources, ecological, field work, restoration ecology, restoration ecologist, biological field studies, native flora, fauna surveys, plant surveys, vegetation classifications, habitat mapping, nesting bird surveys, wetland delineations, endangered species, environmental consulting, environmental consultant, scientist, environmental review, environmental studies, research, analysis, regulations, regulatory, environmental review documents, scientific, Northern California, Oakland, San Francisco, Petaluma, Sacramento, San Jose, CA, environmental conservation, environmental protection, natural environment, social, political, economic, cultural, sustainable outcomes, sustainable communities, conserve, protect, underdeveloped land
TJG Group Environmental + Engineering + Construction Services