Position Title: WHINSEC Translation Support Services; Spanish
Position Type: Part-Time to Full-Time Employment
As a veteran, woman-owned, business - TI Verbatim Consulting (TIVC) implements lasting workplace human capital and business information solutions. We improve the workplace using culture assessment to inform leadership and ignite culture optimization. We bridge language divides through culturally accurate translation and interpretation. At TIVC, our goal is to treat our customers as valued partners, deliver excellent service and "Help People Work Better Together."
TIVC is currently seeking Spanish Translators.
The Department of the Army requires Translation Support Effort of Professional Military Education Programs at Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC) consisting of translation of program such as the Command and General Staff Officer Course (CGSOC), Instructional Material to maintain doctrinal and academic currency and relevancy between Fort Leavenworth, KS (FLKS) and WHINESEC, Fort Benning, GA.
- Capable of producing 5,000,000 words of publishable idiomatic translation products from English to Spanish with a 5% maximum marginal error, with a product context of a graduate level education.
- The translated products must meet the grammar, spelling, and syntax exigencies of “La Real Academia Española” and meet the Acceptable standards for the four dimensions of translated material Usefulness/Transfer; Terminology/Style; Idiomatic Writing; and Target Mechanics.
- Must be able to perform idiomatic translation of text, graphics, maps, diagrams, and pictures.
- Must be members of the American Translators Association (ATA) for the target language (Spanish) and certified ATA in the target language (Spanish) in order to produce accurate publishable products.
- Shall possess cultural knowledge and understanding of Latin American Spanish.
- Must provide evidence of one of the following:
- Recent Cross-Cultural Awareness Course
- Regional Orientation Course – Regional Center or
- In-country regional training
- Must demonstrate as a minimum one of the following:
- Knowledge and understanding of military terms
- Army organizational knowledge
- Military mission/function terminology
- Resume must have evidence of one of the following:
- Individual awards for translating duties
- Letter of Recommendation
- Individual evaluations or any document that serves to validate the translator’s knowledge either by experience or formal education.
- Must provide evidence of certificate of attendance and completion of language (Spanish) proficiency refresher training in the last five years in one of the following institutions or similar institutions:
- Middlebury College, Indiana University, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Foreign Service Institute, Kent State University, University of Hawaii, University of Maryland Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center or any educational institution qualified to provide professional development training in Spanish.
- This requirement may be substituted if personnel has completed an Undergraduate degree in a Spanish program that combines courses from both the linguistics track and the literature and culture track requirements targeted to achieve an advance level of listening, speaking reading and writing proficiency in the Spanish language.
- Required to translate from English to Spanish a request of 4,000 source words to a maximum 5,000 of source words shall be delivered in 15 calendar days from the date submitted.
- Must be able to utilize and familiarize themselves with SDL TRADOS STUDIO Translation Software to ensure continuity in translation material quality.
- Must be able familiar and able to utilize Computer Aided Translation (CAT) and translation memory tools.
- Must possess an advance language proficiency in Spanish and English written communication of a person with a graduate level of education.
- Bachelor’s degree level of education or higher.
- Members of the American Translators Association (ATA) for the target language (Spanish) and certified ATA in the target language (Spanish).
- Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR Scale): 3 or higher Language proficiency level (Professional performance band levels 3 through 5).
- Translation experience: Verbatim/summary transcription/translation.
- Minimum three (3) years’ professional experience conducting translation, transcription, translation, and/or interpretation