Medical Assistant / Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Responsible for assisting the physician or nurse practitioner with patient care including room patients, obtaining history and chief complaint and updating medications and allergies, obtaining patient consent as necessary, taking quality before and after pictures, assisting with biopsies and other surgical procedures. Other responsibilities include set up of exam rooms for scheduled procedures, straighten and clean exam rooms before/after patient visits/procedures, ensure exam rooms are stocked, medical instrument cleaning and sterilization, accurate completion of pathology and lab requisition documents, proper placement of pathology and lab specimens and documents for courier pick-up, retrieving patient messages from phone system & handling those calls efficiently and effectively, patient education on treatment plans and medication, nursing procedures such as suture removal, medication mixing, IM and IL injections, numbing injections for certain procedures and allergen patch testing.
Position is Monday through Friday with one of those days possibly being off during the week and one half day Saturday per month. On average, hours would be approximately 32-40 hours per week. Start time for work is approximately between 8-9 am and end time is approximately between 5-6 pm.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High school diploma
2. Basic typing, English and mathematical skills
3. Medical assisting certification / Nursing degree
4. Licensed Practical Nursing license (issued in Ohio), current if applicable
5. One year of experience in a medical office working as a medical assistant / LPN preferred but not required.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Pleasant personality and disposition
2. Exceptional verbal and written communication
3. Outstanding telephone manner
4. Good understanding of skin anatomy
5. Highly motivated and well-organized with attention to detail
6. Demonstrates neat and orderly work habits
7. Works well with co-workers and in a team environment
8. Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
9. Friendly, compassionate, and empathetic with patient needs and concerns
10. Ability to communicate and work well with physicians and nurse practitioners, anticipating their needs in regard to patient treatment
11. Positive attitude
12. Reliable and dependable work ethic
1. Politely greet and escort patients to exam rooms in order of appointment times. Obtain/update the patient’s medical history and chief complaint. Obtain/update medication and allergy lists and smoking status at least annually as necessary. Set up exam room according to scheduled procedure or anticipate physicians needs if non-scheduled procedure is likely.
2. Document in the EMR system the patient’s visit with the physician or nurse practitioner and prepare prescriptions for e-prescribing as necessary.
3. Access to EMR – use the minimum necessary required to carry out your job responsibilities. Examples include: creating visit notes, e-prescribing, updating medical history, etc. No clinical staff should view a patient’s billing history unless directed by a physician, nurse practitioner, or billing department.
4. Assist physician or nurse practitioner with biopsies and other surgical procedures such as excisions, ED&C, liquid nitrogen, laser procedures, etc.
5. Educate patient as required after physician or nurse practitioner establishes the treatment plan. Ensure the patient understands the treatment plan, understands the proper use of their medications, and understands their responsibility for compliance with the treatment plan prior to leaving the office.
6. Can efficiently and effectively answer patient questions regarding our providers, procedures, pricing, promotions, and any other relevant questions a patient may ask.
7. Maintain an organized work area.
8. Performs nursing procedures such as suture removal, medication mixing for IM and IL injections, injections for procedure numbing, allergen patch testing, etc.
9. Accurately complete all required pathology and laboratory requisition documents for patients as required by physician or nurse practitioner. Correctly log the information into the biopsy log.
10. Stock all exam rooms as needed.
11. Perform all duties related to medical instrument cleaning and sterilization including initialing and dating the packs.
12. Perform necessary spore testing for the autoclave and cleaning of equipment according to schedule.
13. Notify clinical staff member responsible for ordering supplies when supplies are low.
14. Straighten and clean exam rooms between patient visits and at the beginning and ending of each office day including wiping down counters, exam/treatment beds, chairs, swiffer the floors, changing paper on tops of carts, replace sharps containers as needed and straightening magazines in rooms (Refer to cleaning schedule for each room).
15. Turn on/off laser equipment, cautery, Reveal camera, etc. each day and ensure cabinets that are to be locked are locked.
16. Call patients with biopsy results and return other patient phone calls.
17. Take responsibility to ensure appropriate follow through on patient questions or concerns.
18. Follow up on outstanding pathology, lab, or culture requisitions with the appropriate lab.
19. Other duties as assigned by the Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and/or Practice Administrator.