About the Opportunity
Help The Nicholson Companies continue its leadership role in the self storage industry by maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the Company finances and financial records as Full Charge Bookkeeper.
About the Position
Come join our team as a Full Charge Bookkeeper responsibilities include: administration of the company's accounting systems, practices, procedures and controls, and will report directly to the Controller.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Generation of financial and management reports including balance sheet and income statement, budget-to-actual reports and cash flow for multiple entities
- Assist accounting team members in performing controllership and bookkeeping services for clients
- Performing all accounting related functions including G/L, A/P, A/R and payroll (including preparation of sales/local tax returns and 1099’s)
- Posting journal entries, account maintenance, reconciliation of ledger and bank accounts
- Preparation of reports for banks, outside accounting firm, auditors and others as required
- Reviewing and reporting on billing, collections, and write offs
- Entering and generating budgeting and planning forecasts and reporting on variances
- Reconcile bank accounts and research discrepancies
The ideal candidate is a confident self starter who is very detail oriented and motivated in a fast paced environment. We are seeking someone who has been in and enjoys a position of responsibility and responding to the business, as opposed to someone who is just doing bookkeeping or “numbers crunching”. A candidate who has worked with the controller or who has assumed some controller responsibilities and wants to make the transition to full responsibilities would be a good potential match.
- Two or more years of experience in bookkeeping and/or accounting position is required.
- Track record of consistent, organized and responsive support to management.
- Must be able to manage cash and vendors in a variety of cash flow situations.
- Experienced in Property Management or working with multiple entities and/or clients preferred
- Must be proficient in Word, Excel, and/or other related accounting and tax software.
- Must exhibit meticulous attention to detail and commitment to producing accurate an high-quality work.
- Must be flexible and have the ability to "think out of the box".
- 80% Company paid health insurance
- Dental coverage available
- Paid vacation time (80 hours per year)
- Paid sick time (48 hours per year)
- 9 paid holidays off annually
- 401K retirement 5% company match
- Allstate supplemental insurances available
- Frequent Company paid educational/personal growth opportunities including:
o Handgun safety course with 30 minutes/month year round range time.
o Corporate chef prepared wine tasting/luncheons 2 Fridays each month.
o Designated plot within corporate rooftop organic garden with 30 minutes/wk gardening time.
o Regular offsite cultural opportunities (opera/theater attendance, gallery openings, etc).
- Participation in Nicholson Company Foundation leadership
- Corporate Office closes every Friday at 1:30PM.
- Winter dinners offsite
- Annual holiday banquet w/significant other
About the Company
The Nicholson Companies is a full service self storage management and development company incorporated in Virginia in May 1962 and wholly owned by Tom Nicholson, III. The Nicholson Companies has been and continues to be involved in developing, building and purchasing self storage facilities and providing management/consulting services to the owners of self storage facilities from West Virginia to Florida. The Nicholson Companies developed the first self-storage facility in the State of Virginia in 1973 and has been named by the Self Storage Association as one of the nation's top 20 Operators numerous times.
The AAAA Self Storage Management Group, a Nicholson Companies affiliate, currently provides full service management services to the owners of approximately 50 facilities, containing in the aggregate over 2,000,000 square feet of space and representing over $200,000,000 in value. Most of our full service accounts take advantage of the brand recognition offered by utilizing our "AAAA Self Storage" trade name.
An additional 150+ facilities participate in one or more of our related programs under the United Self Storage Affiliates banner. These programs include the Trusted Movers Network, Contents Indemnity Solutions, AAAA Sales Center and Packed Planet Marketing. In short, we can provide cutting edge advice and assistance to our clients in analyzing any aspect of self storage development, management, ownership or ancillary services to our clients.
Company Work Culture
Being part of the team at The Nicholson Companies is an unusual experience. We are the top provider of self storage management and related services in the southeast. If you are looking for a place where hard work and being the best at what you do are recognized and rewarded, this is the place for you! Our corporate office employs less than 30 individuals. Each new hire is carefully screened not only for skill set but to ensure the best fit into our unusual work culture. Backbiting, betrayal and the usual dysfunction found in many corporate environments is not to be found here. Read our Team Covenant (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lyEh-Kll40TGZldEgyU1lDaUE/view?usp=sharing) and you’ll get the idea. Likewise, if you read our Mission Statement (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lyEh-Kll40TGZldEgyU1lDaUE/view?usp=sharing) you’ll see that providing a rewarding career to our employees is our number 2 priority; second only to our loyalty to our Owner/Clients. As you can see in the above “Benefits” description, being a member of our team offers opportunities well beyond the usual salary and health coverage provided by most employers. We share a wealth of experiences that promote fun and personal growth and whenever feasible we include our significant others in Company sponsored activities.
The AAAA Self Storage Management Group corporate offices are located at 819 West Little Creek Road in Norfolk, Virginia.
*We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation and reference checks. Smoke-free workplace.*