Data Scientist, Operations Research Analyst
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Energy Authority is a public power-owned, nonprofit corporation with offices in Jacksonville, Florida and Bellevue (Seattle), Washington. TEA provides public power utilities with access to advanced resources and technology systems so they can respond competitively in the changing energy markets. Through partnership with TEA, utilities benefit from an experienced organization that is singularly focused on deriving the maximum value of their assets from the market.
Changes in electricity utilities and power markets demand Analysts with knowledge and expertise across multi-disciplines. As part of the Quantitative Analytics and Research multi-disciplinary team, a successful candidate will provide expertise in machine learning, operations research, and statistical models to translate business problems into solutions that are repeatable and scalable across The Energy Authority's (TEA) Clients. A successful candidate is interested in following the trends and changes in the electricity markets and develops models that help assess how such trends and changes may be impacting our Clients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This position requires a high degree of self-motivation, analytical thinking, balancing of competing priorities, close collaboration with fellow data scientists, and effective communication of technical topics to general audiences. Key responsibilities include:
- Design, develop, and improve complex optimization models, statistical models, and machine learning models to achieve Clients' objectives
- Develop tools and dashboards that External and Internal Clients use to evaluate strategies, from Research & Development to Production lifecycle
- Investigate new and improved ways to formulate optimization problems and solution deliveries.
- Follow an established set of standard procedures such as providing code reviews, using internal R packages, and Git repository
The desired analytical skills within TEA's Quantitative Analytics and Research will include:
- Knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms and techniques such as Regression, Support Vector Machines, Neural Networks, Feature Engineering, and Model Validation techniques
- Concepts of economic dispatch and marginal pricing in centralized Electricity Power Markets and their market rules that affect clearing of energy, ancillary services, and other market products
- Concepts of Object-Oriented Programming preferably in R or Python
Entry Level Analyst - Ability to Operate & Maintain Models
- Operate & maintain models to support routine analysis.
- Develop & maintain a strong working knowledge of the tools used by TEA.
- Acquire a strong knowledge of functions performed by various areas of TEA.
Qualified Analyst - Ability to Design the Models & Evaluate their Effectiveness
- Develop & maintain a strong working knowledge of the theory and practice of complex analytical models.
- Develop awareness of TEA tool suites and effectively use them in designing solutions to complex problems.
- Maintain and enhance complex models – evaluate their performance.
Senior Analyst - Provide knowledge support to TEA's senior team to assist in making strategic decisions for TEA
- All of the above plus:
- Have developed professional networks across TEA's staff, the staff of TEA's Members and Partners, and the electric utility industry
- Prepare reports, presentations, and other materials that provide the senior management of TEA, Clients, and industry parties the results of analyses performed by the analyst or other team members
- Support TEA's business development efforts
- Responsible for project management, schedules, and budgets
Senior Analyst, Lead / Principal Analyst – Architect solutions and drive projects to completion
- In this expanded role, the Lead Senior Analyst is assigned the added responsibility of taking a leadership role in a particular market or service to provide guidance, training, mentoring, and in-depth knowledge regarding the market or service
- Lead Senior Analyst has the support of the Analytics leadership to develop processes, tools, and approaches necessary for providing TEA's Clients with a common service and knowledge base across the breadth of the Analytics team
- Exhibits depth and breadth of expertise in a particular subject area (i.e., machine learning, electricity market rules) and is responsible for developing models and processes in the subject area
- Recognized throughout our Clients and the Industry as the TEA thought leader in a critical subject.
- This position is not a supervisory function; however, the role does include the oversight and training of other TEA and Member/Partner staff in significant industry changes
- Master's degree or equivalent work experience in engineering, mathematics, economics, or another appropriate field of study; A degree in either Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or Power System Economics is preferred
- Knowledge of the Electric Utility Industry
- Proficiency with R/Python and object-oriented programming
CERTIFICATES, LICENCES, REGISTRATIONS
Professional Engineering License is preferred for candidates with a background in engineering. Certifications in Data Analytics, Optimization, or Machine Learning are desirable.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
Expertise needed with Microsoft Word, Excel/Visual Basic, and other analysis tools. Experience with large utility simulation and resource applications such as PROMOD, PLEXOS, Planning and Risk, AuroraXMP, or GEMaps, Dayzer, PSS/e, and PowerWorld is useful. Ability to apply techniques of decision analysis, such as decision trees, influence diagrams, etc.
THE ENERGY AUTHORITY
Get fresh Data Scientist, Operations Research Analyst jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.