Top Skills Details
1. Experience coding in Java and J2EE
- developing and designing in these languages
2. Experience deploying code in a Linux environment
- Red Hat preferred
3. Experience developing in a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) environment
- they are using ESB (enterprise service bus) in their SOA environment
• Six or more years of experience using Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and/or Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) web services architecture. A thorough understanding of ESB or J2EE gained through formal training can substitute for this experience.
• Experience in Java Development
• Programming skills Java/J2EE.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (7 preferred).
• Experience with Object Oriented methodologies, Object Oriented Analysis (OOA) and Object Oriented Design (OOD)
• Experience working within an Eclipse Development Environment
• Experience with service bus technologies, spring application framework, Java Messaging Protocol especially using QPID daemon, Hibernate with a PostgreSQL backend, Relational Database administration, OpenGL calls and UI design using Eclipse.
• Experience with Extensible Markup Language (XML) and Unified Modeling Language (UML),
• Experience porting older code into more modern framework
• Experience working within a Red Hat Enterprise Linux environment.
Experience with scripting is a plus (Perl & Python as well as others)
Experience and/or knowledge with Web Service design and development
Experience and/or knowledge with Service Oriented Architecture
Experience developing and/or supporting solutions for weather and meteorological science.
One or more years of experience in a supervisor role. Experience as a mentor. Experience as an Integrated Product Team (IPT) lead.
Experience in Extensible Markup Language (XML), Unified Modeling Language (UML), Eclipse IDE, database, and/or Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) a plus.
Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or OpenGL technologies a plus.
Additional Skills & Qualifications
• Spring • Hibernate • Postgres / SQL • JMS (especially with QPID Message Broker) • OpenGL • Code debugging
Who is the Internal/External Customer?
The Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) is central to the ability of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS) to predict weather, water, and climate conditions. AWIPS provides NWS with the means to integrate meteorological and hydrological data into a single computer workstation. It draws data from an array of weather sensors, satellites, and numerical forecast guidance, processes and distributes the data to the 122 Weather Forecast Offices, 13 River Forecast Centers, and more than 20 environmental centers nationwide, and dispenses rapid, highly reliable warnings and forecasts of weather events that affect the United States, its territories, or adjacent waters.
As the NWS’ partner responsible for AWIPS operations, maintenance, 24/7 technical support, and Product Improvement the Raytheon AWIPS team supports these critical operations.
The Raytheon AWIPS Program is searching for an experienced Java Software Engineer who will have the opportunity to provide software and system support aimed at operational maintenance of the AWIPS system for the National Weather Service. The successful candidate will experience and learn a multitude of technologies, helping to support and evolve an advanced, FOSS based, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) / Enterprise Bus (ESB) serving the needs of the American public.