6 Month Contract to Hire
Top Three Skills:
- Unix Scripting
Job Description: The Client is looking for an engaged and experienced Senior Data Operations Engineer to support our data platform that is responsible for collecting, storing, processing, and analyzing huge sets of data spread across the organization. The platform provides frameworks for quickly rolling out new data analysis for data-driven products and micro-services. The platform also enables machine/deep learning infrastructure that operationalizes data science models for broad consumption. In this role, you'll join a team focused on supporting the platform, working with other support teams, and providing excellent customer service to internal clients.
This team is currently on a Teradata Platform for Retail Data, Customer Data, Order Management. They are moving from Teradata to Spark platform. The goal is as the new platform ramps up, they'll ramp down on Teradata. Which is why they're looking for someone well-versed with Terdata and Ab-initio, but also undersands some Hadoop to ramp up. They will be using Hadoop/Hive for ETL Pipelines. It wouldn't be hardcore Application Development - more support and ETL within Hadoop.
Role includes on-call responsibilities and responding quickly to urgent issues. Must be able to coordinate well with both onsite and offshore team members. Must look to not only fix issues, but create long-term solutions. Must continuously improve processes through automation, performance tuning, and reducing manual effort.
• Perform independently and guide, assist, and mentor others in analyzing, debugging, testing, documenting, and installing solutions.
• Provide prioritization, planning, estimating, work assignments, quality assurance and mentoring at any stage of a project.
• Responsible for communicating to management on status, problems, issues and underlying process problems.
• Document and present solution alternatives, which improve processes and business objectives.
• Track progress and intervene as needed to eliminate barriers and ensure delivery.
• Demonstrate anticipation and initiative in the planning for and management of problems.
• Resolve or escalate problems and manage risk for both development and production support.
• Coordinate with vendors and contractors for specific projects or issues.
• Review the technical work of other team members.
• Ensure adherence to IT standards and methods.
• Maintain deep knowledge and awareness of technical & industry best practices and trends, especially in technology & methodologies.
• Work with business users to understand requirements and assist them in issue resolution
• Ensure that good business relationships are maintained with multiple clients and other IT departments through excellent customer service and communication.
* 5- 8 years of experience as a professional software engineer or operations engineer
* 5 years of hands-on experience developing software with Ab Initio, SQL, & Unix shell scripting
* 2 years experience developing in a UNIX/Teradata environment
* 1 year of experience with big data technologies
* Experience in building or supporting distributed, scalable, and reliable data pipelines that ingest and process data at scale in batch and real-time
* Experience with schedulers such as Control-M
* Enthusiasm for constant improvement as a Data Engineer
* Ability to review and critique code and proposed designs, and offer thoughtful feedback in a collegial fashion
* Skilled in writing and presenting -- able to craft needed messages so they are clearly expressed and easily understood