Rural Business Innovation Initiative Mentor Consultant
- Posted: over a month ago
The Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO) provides technical and business assistance to entrepreneurs, funding for early-stage, technology-based businesses, technology transfer and commercialization support for State universities and Federal labs across the State of Maryland. We are seeking an independent contractor to support our Rural Business Innovation Initiative. In this capacity, the contractor will act as a mentor to qualified companies in Calvert, St. Mary's and Charles counties, performing the following services:
- Work with local economic development offices and other innovation ecosystem stakeholders to identify Qualified company candidates in need of mentoring. Qualified companies are technology-based with their headquarters and a majority of Workforce in Maryland.
- Meet with companies to assess their progress and potential, identify developmental gaps and business needs, and refer them to the appropriate sources of assistance (TEDCO support programs such as RBII Projects, Network Advisors, Pitch Academy, Prelude Pitch, SBIR Proposal Lab, TEDCO funding programs, MD Department of Commerce, business service providers, tech transfer offices, federal laboratories, etc.) or provide one-on-one mentoring and assistance, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties related to their county or counties (the "Region") as directed by TEDCO. While much of the job can be handled virtually, the Mentor must be willing to travel throughout the Region as well as to other areas of Maryland, such as Columbia for quarterly meetings, annual meetings, or other events. Travel and related expenses are reimbursed.
- Work with ecosystem leaders to strengthen the innovation ecosystem, to expand TEDCO's reach and to promote its various programs.
- Work with entrepreneurs and vendors to assist companies through grant projects awarded by TEDCO.
- Represent TEDCO, as directed, at select events and meetings, consistent with the overall RBII/TEDCO mission.
- Organize conferences, workshops, orientations, or open forums showcasing the RBII program and TEDCO funding opportunities, and recruit RBII companies, regional economic development officials and other potentially interested parties.
- Assist in the planning of other regional events to promote and support the RBII program and TEDCO.
- Provide timely assessment of all potential RBII companies, including entering the RBII client into Salesforce.
- Maintain timely tracking of all mentoring and outreach activity by company or organization via Salesforce.
- Work with the Director of the Rural and Urban Business Innovation Initiative, Managing Director of Entrepreneur and Ecosystem Empowerment (E3), and other TEDCO staff as needed, on special projects.
- A four year college degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with technology-based start-ups and a minimum of 2 years of increasingly responsible business experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced and time-sensitive environment
- Problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in the entire Microsoft 365 suite of applications
- Proficient in virtual meeting applications such as Teams, Zoom and Google Meet
- Experience with other current software platforms such as Adobe, Slack, Asana, Trello, Basecamp, and Smartsheet are a plus.
- Salesforce CRM is highly desired.
- Ability to work a minimum of 16 hours per week and a maximum of 26 hours per week, on average.
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?