Our mission as a leading investment management firm is to help our clients achieve their long-term financial goals. We believe our associates are the key to this mission and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our commitment to our client's success.
If you're looking for challenging work experiences and the ability to learn in a collaborative culture, we invite you to explore the opportunities available at T. Rowe Price.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
This position is a leadership role within Investment Compliance, specifically focused on the Rule Building function. The position provides strategic and tactical oversight of the firm's investment compliance rule library, which is managed within the Charles River trading/compliance system. The Charles River rule library consists of 13,000+ investment restrictions and operational rules that have been programmed to ensure that every investment portfolio managed by T. Rowe Price adheres to various regulatory, prospectus, client-directed, internal and operational requirements.
The Lead Manager is a subject matter expert and a strategic and tactical resource within the Rule Building function. The position provides business and technical expertise; prioritizes, organizes and oversees projects designed to mitigate risk within the rule library; and provides feedback to the Investment Compliance management team. In addition, the position uses prior experience to participate in the development of coding, code change, code review and testing standards for use by the Rule Building function. The Lead Manager develops and maintains policies and procedures that support the Rule Building function and assists in training others within the Rule Building function and across Investment Compliance. The position interacts heavily with Charles River (the vendor) to better understand system functionality, report issues and develop solutions to complex rule coding and monitoring problems. The Lead Manager position may work as an individual contributor or may have 1-2 direct reports.
Project & Risk Management
- Prioritize, organize and oversee projects designed to mitigate risk within the Charles River rule library. Specifically, develop a strategic vision to address aged rules, manual rules, consolidation of rules and lists, and streamlined test logic.
- Assess the comprehensive impacts of regulatory changes and new investment strategies, products and derivative instruments on the rule library. Develop project plans for Rule Building personnel to implement changes appropriately and timely.
- Develop methods to continually identify and close potential gaps/risks within the rule library. Work with others internally and externally to add new data fields, implement new functionality, and develop solutions to improve automated monitoring capabilities.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and compliance system "power user". Demonstrate and proactively share expert knowledge of the Charles River system, or other investment compliance monitoring system(s), to significantly increase depth of knowledge within the Rule Building function.
- Demonstrate extensive experience and proficiency in coding and testing compliance rules, particularly with respect to complex investment strategies, fixed income securities and derivatives, including currency forwards, options, futures and swaps.
- Stay abreast of new compliance functionality options within Charles River and make recommendations for use within the Rule Building function to improve rule coding techniques and monitoring capabilities.
- Actively participate in the development partnership relationship with Charles River and provide input on proposed product enhancements.
- Demonstrate ability to navigate/query multiple databases by writing SQL scripts.
Policies & Procedures
- Develop a documentation program to effectively capture and maintain all policies and procedures that support the Rule Building function.
- Develop and implement coding, code change, code review, and testing standards for the Rule Building function to ensure 100% accuracy of the rule library.
- Challenge existing policies and procedures and offer best practice recommendations.
- College degree and 4 years of related work experience, or
- Associate degree and 6 years related work experience, or
- High School diploma/equivalent and 8 years related work experience
- Proven project management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop both a tactical and a strategic approach to a problem/situation
- Ability to work well with and effectively train people with varying technical abilities
- Strong customer service orientation; applies consultative approach when interacting with peers and customers
- Effective written and oral communications
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to identify risks, trends, process improvements and to manage change
- Ability to work under pressure, make decisions and produce results with limited supervision
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (e.g. accounting, finance, or related field)
- 6-10+ years of work experience in investment compliance or related field
- Experience with compliance and/or trading systems, preferably Charles River
- In-depth investment/securities knowledge
- Working knowledge of domestic and international securities law, i.e. 1940 Act, UCITS (Luxembourg/UK), etc.
- Working knowledge of relational databases, SQL, programming languages and database concepts
T. Rowe Price is an Equal Opportunity Employer