We're looking for a well-rounded, experienced Building Construction Superintendent who is skilled in multi-family, low-mid rise ground-up construction and who fits well in a small, nimble company and likes to work on a variety of projects. We're a successful small company with good people who like to get the job done.
In collaboration with the Project Manager, you’ll run the daily activities of the construction site and the short-term schedule to execute a project safely, on time, within budget, and in compliance with the contract, company and industry quality standards and the client's vision. The initial focus of this role is on ground up multi-family, multi-unit low rise building project in Evanston, IL. Our ideal candidate has experience in: multi-family, multi-unit low/mid/high-rise buildings, retail/restaurant build-outs, tenant improvements/interiors, mixed-use building, adaptive reuse.
Know the Work and Sequencing
- You know each industry trade and how to take different approaches to get work done and solve problems.
- You know the job you’re overseeing including the job site, schedule, budget, project team, type of building, materials, technology required, and project documentation needed, identifying gaps early and foreseeing potential problems as they arise.
- You sequence all work effectively, managing timely materials procurement to keep work on schedule.
- You manage all timelines to keep the project on schedule including inspections, safety checks, and coordinate them to minimize disruptions and potential impact to schedule or budget.
Demonstrate Strong People/Leadership Skills
- You work with a diverse group of people, including union and non-union sub-contractors, inspectors. You build trust, teach others and correct performance as needed. You routinely check in with team members through meetings and during site walks; listen carefully to others; facilitate daily, weekly, and quarterly meetings; know your team’s strengths and weaknesses.
- You manage conflict, disagreements and difficulties well, treating others with respect.
- You encourage excellence in work product and build a positive atmosphere on the job through an upbeat attitude, leading by example. You are appropriately assertive as needed to get answers or get work done.
- You build relationships with key people on team including clients, owners, architects, inspectors, sub-contractor team.
Pay Attention to Detail
- You maintain close watch over the site and regularly walk the job site to ensure team’s safety and quality of work; correct issues immediately; work with Safety Coordinator as needed to remedy issues.
- You adhere to protocols and compliance requirements, and you require similar onsite conduct and compliance for all people including workers, visitors, inspectors, etc.
- You develop and maintain a professional working relationship with the Owners, architects, inspectors, employees, sub-contractors, and other key people. You work under the guidance of the General Superintendent, Project Manager, and Owners as needed to address more critical, complex, or out-of-scope issues.
- You communicate progress regularly to ensure that all key parties are aware of current project status and any unplanned concerns, issues, or difficulties. You document any issues and communicate to management immediately. You work with the team to correct work when possible to minimize end-of-project punch list items.
- You acknowledge good work and correct sub-par or incomplete work in a timely way.
Uses Technology/Administrative Processes to Support the Project
- You complete all needed administrative work on time including, among others, project billing, schedules, employee/sub schedules, project notes, etc.
- You follow up on the final punch list until work is completed and the job is done according to the client’s satisfaction per contract.
- You use technology to your advantage to organize, document, and manage your work.
- Minimum of 10 years Construction Industry experience
- Minimum of 7 years experience as a Superintendent
- Experience constructing multi-family, multi-unit buildings from ground up
- Management experience required
- Strong understanding of residential and commercial building construction
- Proficient in technology including MS Office/Outlook; Sage/MasterBuilder, SureTrak software
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills
- Track record of meeting deadlines
- Capable organization skills; ready to handle the job at any time through proper planning and organization.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills, strong customer service, using diplomacy and discretion as needed
- Business and financial acumen related to project
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing schedules, requirements, etc.
- Works effectively both on a team and independently
- Calm under pressure
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, OR LICENSES
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred, Construction Management or a related field
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a motor vehicle
- OSHA certified preferred
This is a physically demanding job involving both moving throughout the job site and working in the established onsite office at Synergy's main office from time to time. Specifically, this role requires standing, climbing, balancing, stopping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. Employees in this role may be required to lift up to 50 lbs unassisted and occasionally, up to 75 pounds with assistance. The job requires keen eyesight to evaluate the worksite and work being completed. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Occasionally, the employee will work with various tools to help complete the job, using hands as needed.
Synergy Construction Group
Why Work Here?Synergy Construction Group is a Chicago-based firm specializing in local General Contracting and Construction Management work. From new multi-family, adaptive reuse, mixed-use residential construction to major medical renovations, our experienced construction team effectively executes our clients' needs. Founded in 2010, our four owners bring more than 70 years of combined experience to the company and our dedicated team of employees work together to ensure that Synergy Construction Group delivers quality work consistently time after time.
Successful, small company focused on a variety of projects and made up of a close-knit team that produces quality results for our Clients.